Chrysler MS-6395 for 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone ever find out what the MS6395 spec consists of? DCX wants me to use it in my Jeep 4.0L. I know it's Bee Ess, but what the heck.. If I can get a $1.40/qt API SM oil that meets the spec from Chevron or Exxon, I'm OK with it.

Only use API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Chryslees Material Standard MS-6395.

MS-6395 contains requirements, not addressed by API Certification, that provide additional protection for Chrysler Group engines.

All Chrysler Group gasoline engines, irrespective of model year, should be serviced with AFII Certified engine oils meeting MS-6395.

Chrysler Group Engines are developed, certified and filled with engine oil of the designated viscosity grade, meeting MS-6395, and should be serviced with the correct viscosity grade engine oil.

The following table contains the correct viscosity grades for the 2005 model year. Engine Oil Type
2.0L SOHC 5W-20
2.0L DOHC 5W-30
2.4L DOHC 5W-30
2.4L Turbo 5W-30
2.7L 5W-20 or 5W-30 Check Oil Cap for proper usage
3.3L 5W-20
3.5L 10W-30
3.7L 5W-30
3.8L 5W-20
4.0L 10W-30
4.7L 5W-30
5.7L 5W-20

09-015-04 ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY GRADES FOR 5.7L MULTIPLE DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM (MDS)
Date: 11/04/04

Model year(s): 2005

Description: Vehicles with the 5.7L Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System(MDS).

NOTE: This information applies to U.S. and Canada markets only.

NOTE: For additional information refer to the service information or the Owner

09-013-04 GASOLINE ENGINE OIL QUALITY AND VISCOSITY GRADES
Date: 08/06/04

Model year(s): 2005

Description: NOTE: This information applies to U.S. and Canada markets only. This bulletin involves the engine oil to be used to service Chrysler Group gasoline engines. This symbol, found on the front of the container, means that the oil quality has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute.

Details: Only use API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler's Material Standard MS-6395. MS-6395 contains requirements, not addressed by API Certification, that provide additional protection for Chrysler Group engines. All Chrysler Group gasoline engines, irrespective of model year, should be serviced with API Certified engine oils meeting MS-6395. Chrysler Group Engines are developed, certified and filled with engine oil of the designated viscosity grade, meeting MS-6395, and should be serviced with the correct viscosity grade engine oil.

The following table contains the correct viscosity grades for the 2005 model year.

3.7L 5W30 NOT 5W-40 like someone posted
4.7L 5W30 NOT 5W-40 like someone posted
5.7L 5W20

TROPARTIC Oils DO meet Chrysler specs

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com...6-7EA69CB96CED/0/66_TropArtic_SynBlend_MO.pdf

[ December 03, 2005, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

I have a question on an older Chrysler engine, 2.2L turbo engine. I know Ford has tried to convince me that my 460 truck engine should now be using 5W-20. The owners manual for the Chrysler calls for 10W-30 SF/CD, the non-turbo engines call for 5W-30 preferred SF or SF/CC. What would be recommended today? I will probably once it is running again go to synthetic due to the heat from the turbo.

Any SN synthetic is more than fine for one of those older Turbo's on that vintage of Chrysler (very familiar with these). They did like to coke up after a while on conventional oil and my dad and I replaced a whack of them in the late 80's early 90's because of that. Oil technology wasn't where it needed to be back then compared to today for those poorly designed turbo's that weren't even water cooled like the newer ones of today. I'd use a 5w40 synthetic in the Chrysler setup.

Last edited:
My parents 2004 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 has had an incredibly hard life, and has only had whatever oil Jiffy Lube uses till about 9-10 years ago when I started changing the oil. Since that point, it's gotten mostly Mobil 1 full synthetic, Pennzoil full syn, or valvoline full syn. 180k miles on it now. Started burning some oil, but like I said, that thing has had a very very hard life, survived 3 teenage drivers, and continues to have a hard life.

Even now in my Mopars I don't worry about meeting Chrysler's MS-mmeehh spec. M1 EP in the Caliber, PP in the 300.

Oh, their's specs 5w30.

Last edited:
Their MS-6395 spec is largely that the oil will last the life of the OLM requirements. It's not something as stringent as say GM's Dexos spec. Chrysler does a poor job releasing details on what the specification means.

Last edited:
Pennzoil products meet the spec, PYB, PP, PU. and their HM oils IIRC. If you like Mobil, Mobil Super meets the spec too. They're all very easy to find in 5W20.

6395 is the 'taxi cab test'. I thought it was pretty harsh. No...? I read a comment about taxis going 400k miles. Maybe it's not so harsh.

Originally Posted by Silver
6395 is the 'taxi cab test'. I thought it was pretty harsh. No...? I read a comment about taxis going 400k miles. Maybe it's not so harsh.

Yes, but it's a taxi cab test in Las Vegas. Never really gets truly "cold" there. I would think running all the time is better for the engine than off and on all the time as well.

Revived 14 year old thread.

Just use a 5W-30 that meets Chrysler MS-6395 if you need the oil to meet that spec.

Originally Posted by tig1
The MS 6395 spec means nothing. It's politics.

+1, it's largely to ensure it's a GF-5 oil that is capable of their longest OLM OCI of 16,000km (10K miles) and it's why in the manual it says under no conditions to exceed 16,000km (10K miles) should the OLM fail to go off or get reset for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back