PP 5W-20 2007 Ody, 5421 oil miles, 14993 total mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my most recent UOA done by Terry. This is the first batch of PP this engine has seen with an EaO13 oil filter plus FRAM air filter, and it's the third overall batch since the factory fill was dropped. I really like his data format and presentation of the data with the audio analysis. The bottom line is it looks like I pushed the oil interval a little too far I think judging by the elevated copper. My BIGGEST problem is the dang fuel dilution!!! The next interval will be less (more like 4k miles) until I get the copper spewing and fuel dilution under control.

As for the glycol, I really doubt it's coolant. I've been keeping a very close eye on the coolant level, and it is not decreasing, so it must be from some other source, (any ideas? -it's still a new engine really). Anyway, I had hoped the copper would be lower than my last UOA by B/S Labs here , but it wasn't. The OLM was at 30%, so I don't really trust it any more after seeing these numbers. As for the glycol, is there any chance this could be an additive in the PP? It seems like I read that somewhere around here. Comments are welcome.

Iro 20
cop 98
Tin 0
Lea 2
Chr 2
Nic 0
Alu 9
Tit 0
Silv 0
Cal 2485
Mag 18
Zin 971
Pho 663
Bar 0
Mol 72
Ant 0
Sili 30
Sodi 13
Bor 25
Pot 0
Van 0
V40C 40.6
V100C 8.1
TAN 2.29
FLASH 260
OXID 26
NIT 13
KF 402
TBN 3.5
FUEL 1.81
SOOT 0
GLYC 0.82
vndx 176
Sulf BP 25

Last edited:
What did Terry have to say? Or can you tell us?

I'd just dump in SOPUS dino & be done with it, change it a bit more often, especially in warm MS.

I've got yellow bottle in my '07 CRV and driving around in the snow today in West. WY. My engines happy.

Oh yea, get it on sale too, us folks from W. WY & UT are cheap when it comes to oil.

PP is supposed to be a good oil for folks with fuel dilution problems.

That glycol reading seems odd for such a young engine.

There are some other things Terry advised about the glycol which I can't share, but seem more plausible. Just wondering if there are any other possiblities RE the glycol. I also noticed another Odyssey owner that posted here with PP5W-20 (I think it was HondaMan) not too long ago, and his batch had low level glycol in it as well.

I have already added another batch of PP5W-20, but if I'm look at having to run shorter OCIs due to fuel dilution, then I'm going back to dino for sure.

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for sharing your data. I have the VCM engine. Agreed on the copper, just curious about the glycol reading. It's probably nothing to worry about.

He had alot to say regarding the fuel dilution (it and its effects are a very complex issue), but I can't share as it's proprietary...The engine is running very well and I've been seeing excellent gas mileage (26 mpg on long hauls) and 21-22 in the city. I'll take it as a compromise. The engine is still wearing in, so I don't mind running shorter OCIs for a while.

Last edited:
This engine has historically spewed pretty high levels of copper in the beginning, and seems to level out after about 30,000 miles...Although your copper level is twice what mine was in my 2002 at that mileage. I don't know this for a fact, but I *suspect* there is an oil cooler or something in the engine that spews all that copper....

That's a lot of fuel dilution in what I'm guessing is mostly summer driving? How many months was the oil in there and was it mostly city driving?

The TBN,TAN,OXID,NIT,are still within limits and the oil is still doing its job. I feel with just 15K on the engine, your copper and glycol will slow down. Fuel dilution is just below abnormal. I think 6K is a number that can be done, but may keep you on the edge of the seat. I would do the 5K OCI, keep the Eao on for 4 cycles of oil.

Quote:

keep the Eao on for 4 cycles of oil.

Wow. Four cycles huh? I was planning on sticking to two OCIs per filter, or maybe three. You think it would hold up for four?

Quote:

He had alot to say regarding the fuel dilution (it and its effects are a very complex issue), but I can't share as it's proprietary...The engine is running very well and I've been seeing excellent gas mileage (26 mpg on long hauls) and 21-22 in the city. I'll take it as a compromise. The engine is still wearing in, so I don't mind running shorter OCIs for a while.

I could give a KHRAP about all that "proprietary" garbage. Does he comment if the Honda V6 VCM engine fuel dilutes more or not? THAT cannot be "proprietary". It's not some secret about how he does his business.

My thoughts about Terry's services are proprietary. I also have a non-disclosure agreement up my butt.

This UOA when compared to your last is odd that that the wear numbers are not so good here; even though the OCI increased, the engine should be further broken in than last time. Gotta go now...the wife is coming...

Yes, I agree that it is odd. I would have expected the Cu to have been lower this time around, not higher. It seems a little puzzling to me.

Another question: If the glycol was a coolant leak, wouldn't the potassium be elevated (it's 0 here and sodium is low as well)?

Quote:

Quote:

keep the Eao on for 4 cycles of oil.

Wow. Four cycles huh? I was planning on sticking to two OCIs per filter, or maybe three. You think it would hold up for four?

The Eao has been tested past 25K as well as the Eao-bypass tested past 50K. The filter material is synthetic not celluose and won't degrade like paper. I feel the fullflow filter is good for 25K and the bypass 50K. So does Amsoil!

Of course you need to look at time too. Right now, I have had 2 OCI's of group III oil of 5K with the Eao on my Suzuki. This Winter I will go another 5K with the same filter. Ask me in the Spring if I will go another 5K for a total of 20....I might get squimish at that point
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back