mixing different brands of synethic oil? bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

This may be a bad idea, and tell me if it is. I have different types of sythentic oil (castrol, mobil 1, etc, a all 10x 30.) is it okay to mix these? My car is just a plain 4 banger 94 honda accord with 175k miles, been using synthetic oil for about 6 months.

thanks!

I dunno if now is the time to try synthetics in that car if it has had none before. Go ahead and mix away, get on with your life and pick a single oil for next time. I'd put the synth money into some Auto-Rx and just use a Gruppe II, II+ HC oil like Chevron, Havoline, Pennzoil or Motorcraft.

quote:

I'd put the synth money into some Auto-Rx and just use a Gruppe II, II+ HC oil like Chevron, Havoline, Pennzoil or Motorcraft.

What's fun about that? (Tom Hanks in "Big")

haha whoa, ok guys im a oil noob so go slow here. First, do you think I should go back to dino oil? also, the additive you guys talked about, whats the full name of it and where can I find it?

Btw, the car does run fine with the synthetic, however, I did start the hondaa diet on it at 170k miles, very very late. It however does run fine and had good compression. thanks!

>Ankur

Edit is the little icon of a pencil on a sheet of paper in the upper part of the displayed message. I think you get one hour to edit.

Maxlife synthetic has a VOA on this site. Click here.

Mix several oils and it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get, not that it will necessarily harm the engine in some way. Websites such as Chevron's explicitly state not to mix brands (mixing weights within a brand is perfectly OK), but if you've got a bunch of odds-and-ends to use, like one or two qts of each brand, it's probably OK to dump 'em into your 175K mi Honda.

Auto-Rx.com is our main additive here. Not a solvent flush, good for seals, slow dissloving of sludge. Dino oil is not as bad as it was 5-10 years ago, matter of a fact, some $1.50 oils are as good as synths of not long ago. These are called group II or II+ oils and they are somewhat less likely to leak through seals. Personally, I'd rather strait Motorcraft over a cocktail of old synths. You could use the rtandom synths for topping or something if you want to try ARX use dino or GII, II+ or GIII. Check in on the additives forum. ARX is SO worth it. I would do the normal ARX treatment and save a lil for after you flush use it for "maintenance dose". If you luv your car, get it. Hi-Mi oils are not prefered here.

In my 97 F150,4.2V6,102K miles,I mix 3 quarts of Mobil1 10W30 with 3 quarts of Chevron Supreme 10W30 dino.I call it "my blend"!
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back