Valvoline Durablend 5W30, Dodge Dakota 4.7L, 4k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here goes...this is my first UOA. Doesn't look bad I would say. Any comments on the Moly/Boron/Calcium? Are these usual for this oil? Although this UOA is for Durablend, I replaced it with M1 5W30 for the upcoming Chicago winter. I plan to keep it there until April.

2000 Dodge Dakota 4x2
4.7L V8
total unit miles: 82800
miles on oil: 4000
time on oil: 5 months
oil type: Valvoline Durablend 5W30

This truck is typically driven on short trips around town, with a highway trip every 2 months or so. This time around was spring/summer, so no cold weather.

Element data/unit average
Aluminum 2/5
Chromium 0/2
Iron 7/22
Copper 1/4
Lead 0/0
Tin 0/0
Molybdenum 6/56
Nickel 0/1
Manganese 0/1
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 1/1
Boron 6/48
Silicon 3/9
Sodium 4/9
Calcium 2174/2156
Magnesium 12/240
Phosphorus 600/725
Zinc 714/872
Barium 0/0

Properties data/spec
SUS viscosity@210F 56.9/56-62
Flashpoint 355F/>365F
Fuel % 0.5/ Antifreeze % 0/0
Water % 0/ Insolubles % 0.3/ TBN 2.6

Looks good.
Though visc is about 9.33cSt, lower than the 10.33cSt it starts out as. That along with low flash would seem to indicate fuel..

Last edited by a moderator:
I too suspect higher fuel dilution than is indicated in this UOA. How long has it been since you had a complete tune-up?
As far as how well the oil performed, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better one to use in your truck, even under high fuel dilution conditions at 5K OCI's. Why did you switch oils for the winter? I thought 5W30 Durablend would be a good choice for winter.

They mentioned that the fuel was a little high, but likely due to short trips. As far as tune-ups, there isn't much to do except change the plugs. They have ~35K on them, but they are platinum plugs. The air filter (paper--Purolator I think) was put in new at the beginning of the OCI.

I switched to M1 for winter thinking this would be best for cold winter mornings. Temps of -10F or even -20F are not out of the question. Also, 6 months is longer than I usually wait for oil changes so I'm a little paranoid--I'd feel better with full synthetic. Since reading this site and getting the UOA I'm wondering if I should just stay with the Durablend all year.

Any ideas on reducing the fuel, other than more long trips?

Reducing the fuel seems to be a common theme with UOA's these days. Rather than give you some bad advice, why don't you send this UOA from Blackstone to Terry Dyson to interpret for you. It may cost $20-30, but I think you will get your money's worth.
BTW- I recently pulled the plugs in my 2000 Tundra V-8 and found that the dealership had installed Tacoma V-6 Denso plugs...trust, but verify when you don't actually witness any work done on your truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back