Differential Oil Chevy S10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I've noticed a very small leak in the Differential cover of my 99 S10, so I want to change the oil and seal the cover properly. The last differential oil change was made 3 years and 45000km ago. That time I used Shell Spirax 80w90 (GM Chile uses Shell lubricants).

This time I've found the folowing oils:

- Shell Spirax 80w90 (Dino)
- Mobil Mobilube HD 80W90 (Dino)
- 76 MP Gearlube 75w90 (Dino)
- Motorcraft 75w90 (Synthetic)

Maybe I can find some Valvoline, Kendall and Repsol-YPF if I search a little more. I could also find Shell Spirax S 75w90 and Mobil 1 75w90, but only in big buckets, no 1 litre bottle.

What do you think? The Motorcraft costs almost 3 times more than the other oils, but is it worth it? Will I notice any difference? Or should I stick with any big Brand dino? (i.e. the cheapest
ooo.gif
)
I want to keep the truck no more than 2 years from now.

My 2000 GMC Sierra used an actual paper gasket to seal the rear cover to the differential. It came factory filled with synthetic gear oil, and they stopped using RTV sealant as apparently a few trucks had leaks running synthetic.

How did the oil come out? If it was quite black, and the magnet inside loaded up with shavings, you may want to consider a much shorter interval, and perhaps a synthetic.

I have been to Brasil a few times on business, in addition to India. Shell lubricants appear to be much easier to find than Mobil. If you had good results with the Shell Spirax, perhaps keep using it

Hope this helps

I worked on a 2000 S10, which required an 80w90 full syn. I'd say just find a good deal on a 75w90 syn, and put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back