Amsoil ASL 5W-30, 10K miles, '99 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back the results from Blackstone for my Civic. This run was probably 80% city and 20% highway miles, the exact opposite of my last UOA (which was PP 5W-30).

The first set of numbers is this most recent run on ASL, the second is my last run on PP.

Iron 21/10
Chromium 1/0
Lead 7/4
Copper 5/10
Tin 2/0
Aluminum 3/1
Nickel 3/0
Silver 0/0
Silicon 17/13
Boron 78/37
Sodium 8/0
Magnesium 13/19
Calcium 4157/2984
Barium 0/0
Phosphorus 720/967
Zinc 901/1084
Moly 52/70
Titanium, Vanadium 0/0
Potassium 1/0

% Fuel cSt @ 100 10.77/10.33
Water % 0/0
Coolant None/None
TBN ??/4.0

Blackstone flagged the silicon, they think it is from a lube or sealer. Considering that I didn't use any additives and haven't had any work done the engine I think they are a bit off. I'm not so sure that 17 ppm is anything to worry about though.

Overall I'm very happy with the engine and oil selection. I'll probably stick with the PP since it is more readily available and it saves me a couple clams.

Clark

Originally Posted By: c3po
Which oil did you like better, just curious.

Honestly? I noticed no difference in either, I'd have no problem running either until the body falls off this car. The PP is more readily available but if I were to put an order into Amsoil and (now that I've checked my records) become a preferred customer again, there would be no difference in price. I can pick it up at the warehouse in Portland so there is no shipping cost.

In the end, flip a coin and don't look back.

Clark

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Advantage PP.

Quote:
This run was probably 80% city and 20% highway miles, the exact opposite of my last UOA (which was PP 5W-30).

Hmm.....not really.

It would be at least a closer comparison to now run the PP, same conditions.

In terms of elapsed time in the crankcase, how much on each>

You ran 10k miles on the PP, and 10k miles on the ASL, and ALL your wear metals DOUBLED with the Amsoil. Yes, the driving conditions changed, but even with that, the metals shouldn't have perfectly doubled, if you believe in how high-quality Amsoil is. Stick with PP and save yourself the money...

Pablo - Elapsed time was 10 months for the ASL, I think it was slightly less for the PP. I'll have to check when the car comes back home tonight.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You ran 10k miles on the PP, and 10k miles on the ASL, and ALL your wear metals DOUBLED with the Amsoil. Yes, the driving conditions changed, but even with that, the metals shouldn't have perfectly doubled, if you believe in how high-quality Amsoil is. Stick with PP and save yourself the money...

If you haven't checked out my previous UOA post, the PP was doing 80% highway miles while the ASL did 80% city miles. I'm more than happy with the Amsoil, I think it held up really well for the conditions it was put through.

I was just looking at my receipts and the 5 quart jug of ASL came in at $22.75 when you are a preferred customer. I don't know if it has gone up since I last ordered but that is actually cheaper than I pay for PP.

The only reason I did another UOA was that the driving conditions for this car changed so drastically. I wasn't sure if the oil would hold up to 10K mile OCI under city conditions, but now that I have had tests run on opposite ends of the spectrum I doubt I'll do another UOA.

Clark

As I said, EVEN with the change in driving conditions, with how high Amsol totes itself, I'd expect better results. Did it do really badly? No, I'd just expect better from the 'first in synthetics'....

Hmmm... ASL is hard to justify here. They would be pretty similar considering the driving style changes during the OCI. Definately can't see the justification in price... IMHO.

Originally Posted By: zulu
Hmmm... ASL is hard to justify here. They would be pretty similar considering the driving style changes during the OCI. Definately can't see the justification in price... IMHO.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you mean by: "They would be pretty similar considering the driving style changes..."?

Quote:
I was just looking at my receipts and the 5 quart jug of ASL came in at $22.75 when you are a preferred customer. I don't know if it has gone up since I last ordered but that is actually cheaper than I pay for PP.

His price was lower.

Clearly we know city driving is harder on the engine than highway driving. The oil was in the engine for a longer period of time. Including some fairly brutal cold. We know that some few PPM differences don't necessarily represent more wear. (reference Doug Hillary's posts). So again I don't see how these conclusions can be drawn. I say PP did excellent in his previous run. I'm just not sure this is a statistical logical way to compare two motor oils.

Amsoil served you well considering that you did 80% city driving, copper went down from 10 to 5. You need to run Amsoil a second time to get a better picture how it is performing. Amsoil is getting a bit pricey $27.15 for 4Qts
shocked2.gif
. I am glad I purchased a lot of it when it was relatively affordable.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
How many miles on the PP?

Thats alot of CA in the Amsoil!
Helps extend the oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: zulu

Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you mean by: "They would be pretty similar considering the driving style changes..."?

Quote:

His price was lower.

Clearly we know city driving is harder on the engine than highway driving. The oil was in the engine for a longer period of time. Including some fairly brutal cold. We know that some few PPM differences don't necessarily represent more wear. (reference Doug Hillary's posts). So again I don't see how these conclusions can be drawn. I say PP did excellent in his previous run. I'm just not sure this is a statistical logical way to compare two motor oils.

Sorry, I should clairify. The PP in terms of PPM wear metals looked across the board better, but it saw mostly highway miles vs. the ASL that looked slightly worse but saw mostly brutal city miles. My point was that over the same driving style and OCI, I'm willing to bet the UOAs would look VERY similar.

Unfortunately, since we don't have the luxury of tearing down and engine after each oil change, a UOA is the next best thing we have to compare oil performance. I agree that a few PPM is trivial, but in that case, 3/4 of the posts on this forum are freting over a few PPM in thier UOAs. It's the only statistical data we have.

As far as the price issue, at the current PC rate, 5 quarts of ASL (1 gal + 1 quart) would be $34.10 without shipping costs. 5 quarts of PP is $23.00.

In this application, I don't see the price justification. But if there is, I want to know. I'm not bagging on Amsoil. Once I get my PC set up, I'll be ordering some.

I'm the first guy to yell "look how well Amsoil did!" when there is a good SSO UOA....so I need to be careful when the numbers don't look stellar. I agree and have stated before, UOA's are indicators, and I'm pretty sure they indicate wear, but not just mechanical wear. For example, let's just say this OCI had some condensation and iron oxide which naturally resulted in slightly higher Fe levels. Or some Cu leaching. I still think UOA's are great and interesting. So do them more frequently :bonk:

In my opinion, run Amsoil Oil like the other oils and You may find that Amsoil may be like all of the other oils...no special equipment installation, just run Amsoil Oil like you would any other oil through the filter of your choice then run the tests like UOA or whatever.....Amsoil may work as well as any other oil.......In my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back