Mobil 1 5w20, 4645 Mi, 2005 Honda CR-V K24A1

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil analysis done on my 2005 Honda CR-V EX 4WD Auto. The factory warranty had just expired (due to time) and I wanted to make sure there weren't any issues since I had to add a few cups of coolant over the past three years (can't find any leaks).

This vehicle is almost exclusively used by my wife during the week to take the kids to playgroups and all of the other events they attend so it sees a cold start, 2 miles of city driving with lots of stop and go, shut down, cold start 3 hours later, 2 miles city stop and go, shut down, and so on and so forth. On the evenings and weekends it's the same routine but with myself included. The exceptions are when we do mild to moderate offroading in and around the Mojave
Desert/Death Valley and Sierra Nevada mountains and the occasional road trip. Summers are very hot here and winters pretty cool and there's lots of dirt and sand around.

This is the car's fourth oil change and the oil had been in there for about one year. I've always used standard Mobil 1 5w20 and have never had to add any make up oil. I will probably make a switch to Pennzoil Platinum at the next change since it's a bit cheaper and seems to provide as good or slightly better results. Filter was a Purolater PureOne. As it stand right now I will probably take Blackstone's advice and run my new fill ~6500 miles since the oil looks like it definitely had some life left in it.

Let me know what you think.

-Dave
CRVCroppedOilAnalysis.jpg

For a year long OCI and fuel dilution I'd say that's excellent. I do wonder about the sodium though, considering I don't think Mobil 1 has sodium in it? I could be wrong though... I've never used Mobil 1.

No mention of it. I did forget to mention that I live and drive through areas that have quite a bit of natural salts around (salt pans from dry lake beds) but wouldn't I be seeing additional wear metals if it was enough to be affecting my engine? I haven't seen a VOA for ~2006 M1 5w20 but I see 0w20 at 10 PPM. I notice the universal average is 20 PPM and I'm at 14 but I'm also aware that the universal average includes other oils that may contain sodium from the factory

Good testament od npt wasting good Syn oil with short changes.

Sure wish I could only put on 4500 mils in a year.

that area of the country is very dusty-was through there about a month ago. I think your silicon level is more than acceptable under these conditions

Steve

Sounds like I should stick with what works. I'm still considering going to PP on the next change but that's probably a year away (I had a Costco box of M1 on the shelf from a while back). Definitely nice to know I can leave the oil in that long and have it come out fine. The number of city miles will probably stay fixed but we may road trip it a little more this next year. If the city miles don't change but we put a few thousand highway miles on it does anyone think there'd be a problem going to perhaps 7500 miles? I'd think that the highway miles put drastically less wear on the oil compared to the daily cold start/short drive routine.

Gives me more confidence that my wife's 03 Element can go easily 5k mi and 8 months on conventional oil on mostly short trip driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back