2008 Corvette: recommend a M.T. lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may be aware of, the Tremec TR6060 found in the newer Vettes seem to have some pretty notchy 1-2 shifting when cold. This summer I changed mine out to RP Synchromax and it seemed to help a bit. However it's now getting cooler here in WI and the last couple times I took the car out the 1-2 shift was very notchy and sometimes hard to even get into gear when cold. When it's up to normal temp the tranny shifts beautifully. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a lube that may give me better cold shifting while still protecting at higher temps? I have thought about trying Amsoil's ATD stuff, but I read that somebody tried that and it wasn't all that great either on cold shifts. I have been going back and forth between maybe trying Redline's D4 ATF or Mobil 1's ATF, but I have also read that DexIII ATF fluid doesn't offer enough protection for manual trannys. I don't know if I should just keep my RP Synchromax in there or if there is something better suited that I can at least try.

Any help would be appreciated!
Paul

No experience with your Corvette but RP Synchromax is on the thin side of syncromesh fluids, real close to ATF fluid. I use it in my 2002 F-150. It's great in the winter but notchy in the above freezing temps for me. What MT fluid does GM recommend? As you noted ATF doesn't protect a manual tranny. Your best bet is to use a manual tranny fluid. In my case they recommened ATF only for easy cold shifting and cost savings, not tranny life. For tranny life use a manual tranny fluid with the correct additives, not an ATF.

Whimsey

JRHAWK9, your tranny calls for an ATF, yes?

I am no fan of Royal Purple ... but I think you're using the best stuff available right now. A couple years ago, before he shut down operations, I would have heartily recommended the thinnest of Molakule's Specialty Formulations syncromesh fluids. Alas, no more.

Whimsey, I think they recommend ATF because it is thin enough to properly lubricate needle bearings. Not only that, but JRHAWK9's primary concern is cold-weather lubrication so I would NOT go thicker.

thanks guys. Yeah, it calls for ATF (Dex III). I was thinking about going back to ATF, but then read a couple posts on this site. Would Pennzoil's Synchromesh be a possibilty?? How does that compare to RP's Synchromax? I am running Pennzoil's Synchromesh in my Firehawk's T56 with good results.

I remember Molakule's stuff and was looking into some if it awhile ago I think. Why did he shut down?

I would use the D4 over the Mobil 1 synth ATF.
The Synchromesh is thicker than any ATF, but some version of Synchromesh is what I would use if it were my trans.
Cold shifting? Probably worse with thicker fluid, but there are other factors. Any fluid is thicker when cold.
Wear? Better with a true gear oil, but at very low temps I would take it easy until she gets some heat built up.

I'm using the Amsoil ATF. But to tell you the truth, I only did the changover because I like Amsoil products. I am also using ASL and severe gear also and am ordering their PSF and brake fluid.
I did not notice a change in the shifting but then again, I haven't had any issues and I don't live in a cold climate.
My 08 Z tranny has not exhibited the notchiness that many have commented on so maybe I got one of the good ones.

I think you will be fine with the Amsoil ATF.

Pennzoil syncromesh is designed to replace the syncromesh fluid in many FWD GM & Chrysler manual transmissions. It has a cSt of around 9.5 ... about 2.0 more than an ATF ... so it'd be about 25% thicker. I can't see how this would be an improvement first thing on a cold morning.

I think Royal Purple Syncromax is the only ATF-thin fluid with a proper additive package. Obviously, any ATF will work, but (theoretically) one with a greater barrier anti-wear additive package will work better.

MolaKule was not happy where he was (I'm not sure the reason) ... and when he went to move, could not find a new facility to host the blending. His products worked great and I believe orders were substantial ... but it was a facilities issue.

yeah, I always shift slower until warmed up. I can also shift at a real low RPM into 2nd until it warms up, as it's fine then. In the summer, it's not really an issue.

There are times that 1 sec won't be enough....lol Some guys on the Vette forum double clutch 1-2 when shifting cold. I tried that and it does seem to help some. The best I discovered was to just shift into 2nd at a low rpm.

I use Red Line D4 in my built T-56 in a turbo SS Camaro. I really noticed a difference in cold weather shifting and it seems to hold up really well in the heat and with all the HP i throw at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back