What is the gunk in QS gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mva

I just bought 2 quarts of Quaker State 75W140 synthetic gearlube to change the differential fluid in my BMW.

As I was adding the new oil, the screen in the bottom of my funnel started plugging up. And, as I drained the bottle into the funnel a large chunk of what looked like snot came out. Approximately 1 teaspoon of yellowish goo which I put back in the bottle and saved. I had to keep cleaning the screen in order fill the diff.

What is this material? Is it safe to leave the oil in for a few years?

I am going to complain to Quaker State - Today I spent 15 minutes trying to get to the right person at QS without success.

its VII used to get the low vis base oil to a 140wt maybe is old bottle should not settle out but that said it will most likley re mix when hot in axle.

BUT VII will form a insoluble snot when exsposed to PCMO type additives during blending means that blend lines were not clean but I do not know that that is the problem again maybe old bottles.
bruce

Thanks for the quick response.

I live in a small town and 75W140 is a fairly odd gear lube so I don't doubt that it could be old. I don't know how to read the date codes on the bottle - hopefully QS will help or at least refund my money.

Should I add the lumps back to the diff? Or leave it as is? Or drain the oil and replace it with something else?

Last edited:
Some gear oils are not compatible with filtering (even with your screen). The additives will fall out of suspension. Obviously, QS gear oil is one of them. I learned this when Lubrication Engineers switched their EP additive from Almasol to Duolec. Almasol would not pass through filters, but Duolec does.

If it were me, I would dump the current fill and refill with another batch without using the funnel with the screen. You want those additives back in there, even if it's just boar's snot.

I wouldn't worry about it if you got it all, including the goo, into the diffy.

I am sure it's a bit of Olefin copolymer that separated out when it got cold. When the diffy gets hot, it will remix.

I have seen this even in Mobil 1 and Amsoil heavy gear lubes.

If you are concerned, drain it and refill.

I am sure SOPUS will try and make it right.

Yesterday I called the QS tech line and they confirm that it is likely additives and advised me to change the fluid. I was forwarded to the Canadian branch to complain which I did and they have not gotten back to me yet.

Its VII separating out. This should not happen.

Will it mix with oil again when the axle is hot ? maybe, but if the large gunk falls on a seal or LSD plates - it can cause unexpected failures.

Change the oil.Good Luck

INDYMAC and Molakule have given great professional advice. You couldn't ask for more.

My opinion is to dump that particular sauce, and get something that is glued together better. There HAS to be something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back