Maxlife 5W-30 Syn Blend, 7381 miles, Infiniti I-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil was run from 11/07 - 2/08 in our '98 I-30 (similar to Nissan Maxima), powered by the ubiquitous and venerable VQ30. This is my wife's general-purpose commuter and family hauler and is also our long-distance highway cruiser. This OCI included a 3k mile cross-country trip over X-Mas as well as a lot of local short-trip driving and a number of day trips. My wife's commute is only 1.5 miles each way, although there was also a fair amount of hard running during the interval. SuperTech oil filter, Pure One air filter.

Miles on oil: 7,381
Miles on unit: 92,703
Make up oil: None

Quantity in sample/Universal average:

Aluminum: 3/4
Chromium: 2/2
Iron: 9/12
Copper: 3/4
Lead: 3/9
Tin: 0/1
Molybdenum: 207
Nickel: 0/0
Manganese: 0/1
Silver: 0/0
Titanium: 0/0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 15
Silicon: 14/12
Sodium: 33
Calcium: 2,367
Magnesium: 9
Phosphorus: 671
Zinc: 833
Barium: 0

Sus Viscosity at 210F: 58.0
cSt Viscosity at 100C: 9.64
Fashpoint in F: 395
Fuel Percentage: Antifreeze: 0.0
Water: 0.0
Insolubles: 0.3
TBN: 1.9

Blackstone's comments: Everything looks good in the first sample from your Maxima (sic). All wear read below universal averages, which are based on an oil run of 5,300 miles. The sample was free of fuel, coolant, and moisture, and the viscosity read normally for a 5W/30. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were low at 0.3%, showing good oil filtration. We see no reason not to run the next oil a little longer. The TBN read 1.9 so you had some active additive remaining but not too much. Try 8,000 miles next time and check back for another look.

My comments: I consider this to be a good long run for a Grp II/III blend: I wanted enough miles to expose any weaknesses. I was worried about the possibility that lots of short trips would break down the oil and result in low TBN or a broken-down viscosity. Obviously neither was an issue, and wear was consistently low across the board. Si is always on the high side in VQ analyses. I am very happy with the performance of the oil and with the wear level.

Last edited:
Your shot in the dark turned out to be a bullseye! And by that I mean you nailed the oci interval first UOA. Maxlife every 7 to 8 thousand for the I-30 and you are "Good to go!".

Last edited:
How about the sodium? Is that 33 or a typo? What oil did you use before this? Sodium can be an ingredient in coolant (Head Gasket leak)

But otherwise..good report.

glennc,

I had thoughts similar to Al's-I don't think coolant is an issue given the rest of the numbers, but were there any previous runs of Mobil clean or Exxon oils?

Very nice report, btw!

Last edited:

Good point, you are entirely correct, I see now Castrol is another oil using sodium. Are you aware of what some others may be?

Thanks,

REDDOG

I don't think Valvoline uses sodium in the Maxlife formula, at least not according to the data sheet. They do use it in the All Climate formula. Might want to keep an eye on it.

Thanks everybody for all the comments so far.

I don't know what oil was previously run, but I suspect the Na is left over if it's not used in Maxlife. The car is recently new to us. The K is only 2. Of course if it goes up it will be a concern.

I am using up 2qt Chevron Supreme 5W-30 and 2qt SuperTech 5W-30 on the current fill. The engine used about 3/5 qt over the sample interval (I did not top up) and I have 10oz of Maxlife Engine Stop Leak in the mix as well to see if it helps with seals. I don't seem to have any visible leaks so it may just be burning a little. I have not changed the oil filter.

I haven't decided whether I will sample at the next drain. I'm leaning towards it, mainly out of curiosity about how the insolubles will change as the filter ages. I probably won't run the current mix as long as this one. Maybe 5k.

I might try running Red Line 0W-20 in this car and going for long OCIs. AEHaas has shown to my satisfaction that it is not a foolish experiment. Only a small improvement in efficiency would make the cost of the oil literally zero. Then again Maxlife/SuperTech every 7.5k is cheap and apparently effective.

Last edited:
Personally, I won't use an oil with sodium. I don't like these doubts. And there are many other non-sodium oils to choose from. That's just me though.

With that kind of wear, who cares if there's a little sodium or anti-freeze in the oil! I don't think you are going to do any better than that, and it wouldn't be worth the UOA to try!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Ummm...that VOA of GT-1 is for really, really old SH stuff...wouldn't apply today........
Yes and it was not the blend either, but as you know oil families tend to share general additive strategies, such as whether or not they use sodium. It is enough to eliminate any small concern for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back