92 Accord 5.5k Castrol GTX 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received the results from Blackstone. This is my first oil analysis on this vehicle.

Vehicle background: 1992 Accord DX 2.2L 4 cylinder, 5 speed. 162,000 miles on it currently, oil changed out at 5.5k after 4.5 months. Oil has been Castrol GTX 5w-30, NAPA Gold filter. Mix of suburban/rural commuting and highway driving, vehicle sat for 2 weeks while I was in Africa in January. Less than one quart of makeup oil was added during this 5.5k change interval.

I usually drive it pretty hard - I do use a lot of WOT and merging onto the highway I generally will use full throttle revving near redline.

Vehicle completed a dual Auto-RX cycle after I purchased it, rinse phase ended May 07 at 151,830.

---

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 0
Iron: 5
Copper: 4
Lead: 10
Tin: 1
Molybdenum: 7
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 2
Silicon: 11
Sodium: 7
Calcium: 2147
Magnesium: 10
Phosphorus: 691
Zinc: 833
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 57.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 9.51
Flashpoint in F: 385
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.4
TBN: 3.3

Blackstone's analysis: All of the wear metals, except lead, from bearings, looked good in the first sample from your Honda. The higher-than-average lead might be from a particle streak through a bearing, which is temporary, or it might be from some a little excess wear. If you do a lot of city driving and/or idling, then high lead may be a fact of life for your engine. Universal averages show typical wear levels from the Honda 2.2L after about 4900 miles on the oil. The TBN help strong at 3.3, so you have plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is low. Try 6,000 miles next. We'll watch lead.

---

I'm not too worried about anything because I think the body will rust to pieces long before the engine will die, but interesting nonetheless :) One fact I forgot to mention on my remarks was the fact that I drove extensively on the highway before changing the oil - I was coming off a hour plus high speed highway trip. This may account for the water percentage being lower than it otherwise would be. But I've never noticed any signs of condensation contamination.

Looks great. You could to to 7k probably. Pb is low and probably nothing.

The miss's has a 91 civic with the 1.5 engine and it showed pretty good wear too. I am currently doing the first of two ARX cycles in it to see what happens. I am currently about 1K into the first clean phase. She drives like a grandma though.

Great car you have there. I'm in the same boat as you, with the rust issue. I spent over $2000 trying to fix all the rust in my car just to have it come back in the quarter panels and I gave up caring about it, just gonna keep enjoying the ride and get my money's worth out of the car. Still love it, and plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm sure your Accord will keep going for a long time too.

i agree, go easy on her she has miles under her belt.. you take care of her she willtake care of you.. i say drive her a little easier and re-test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back