FRAM SynWash Long Life Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Readers,
I work in the FRAM marketing department and led the team that developed our new SynWash Long Life Air Filter. I frequent this board quite and bit because like most of you I am interested in vehicle maintenance, but I also enjoy candid feedback from consumers about our products. I am posting today because our SynWash filter just hit the marketplace this past week and noticed a few posts about it. Not all of the information is correct so I wanted to give everyone the details.

The name SynWash is derived from "Synthetic Washable". The media is 100% synthetic fiber material which allows it to be washed, unlike cellulose fibers. The media was developed by our engineers and all models are manufactured in our FRAM air filter plant.

This filter is 99% efficient the day you put it in your vehicle, and it's 99% efficient after the 20th wash. We recommend washing it every 12k miles or once per year under normal driving conditions.

The urethane gasket is a special formula designed to withstand engine heat and resist soaking up water during washing. The stainless steel screen is also unique in than it is corrosion resitant.

SynWash is designed to be cleaned with common liquid dish soap. A spray bottle is included that attaches to a garden hose for cleaning. However, an additional washing method is provided on FRAM.com that entails soaking it in warm soapy water.

This filter is NOT to be confused with Air Hog or any other high performance filter. It is designed for high efficiency and engine protection in mind. It does not need oiling ever. We certainly hope that consumers will see the value in this filter not only in the longevity but in the protection it provides.

FRAM Marketing

SynWash is tested to ISO 5011 which tests using course dust. This an industry standard that all FRAM filters are tested against, and is used by just about every major manufacturer.

"I work in the FRAM marketing department and led the team that developed our new SynWash Long Life Air Filter."

1. Last thing I want in my vehicles is a filter developed by a marketing dept.

"The urethane gasket is a special formula designed to withstand engine heat and resist soaking up water during washing."

2. IIRC--all urethane is water resistant.

"The stainless steel screen is also unique in than it is corrosion resitant."

3. Corrosion resistant stainless steel--Whats so unique about that?

"This filter is NOT to be confused with Air Hog or any other high performance filter. It is designed for high efficiency and engine protection in mind."

4. Apparently, this is an acknowledgment by a Fram representative that Air Hogs and other high performance filters are NOT efficient and don't protect your engine.

Thanks, but I'll stick with Pureones.

^
laugh.gif

I was confused about those thing as well.

Coolhand01. A few things I like about the filter. Reusable, no oil. One thing could be better. Only 12,000 miles between cleanings. Could use more capacity.
What is the price range?
Available for motorcycles?
What is the efficiency of this filter at 2 micron particle size?

In response to "another Todd" above.
1) FRAM Marketing does not design air filters. We identify needs of consumers through market research and convey those needs our engineers who design a product to meet those needs.
2) You are wrong. Not all urethane is water resistant. Standard urethane will soak up water like a sponge.
3) You are right, stainless steel is not revolutionary. However, you will not find the gauge and hardness of this steel in any other aftermarket air filter. Not all stainless steel can be durable enough to withstand 20 washes and be stiff enough to support the pleats.
4) Air Hog is a very good filter. It filters very well. However the SynWash filter can filter at a higher efficiency of 99%. I don't know of any aftermarket filter regardless of type or manufacturer can say that.

It's OK to be loyal to another brand, I'm not going to knock that. However this is the best built filter FRAM has ever made, and I want to make sure everyone understands the facts correctly.

coolhand01, thank you for coming here and posting useful information. That is what this site is all about, and it is nice to hear from a person in your position.

As you can tell, FRAM does not carry a good reputation here (mostly for cardboard end caps). However, Mr. Terry Dyson himself has recommended FRAM air filters in the past to members of this board. I would hope that all those slamming coolhand01 for trying to bring useful, first hand information to the board will keep this in mind.

And it looks like one of the major filter manufactures is trying to "up the game" in air filter quality. This can only be good for consumers.

I would use this filter in a minute if it was similar to the Eaa, which Amsoil has not seen fit to make for my Civic. The Fram web site was less than helpful and there is no independant information to be had.

Harry

coolhand01, you may want to check with the forum moderators on commercial posting and/or board sponsorship.

That said it looks like a unique product. Kind of reminds me of the Ea filters, except for the soap part. We all know cotton gauze filters do not filter nearly as efficient as paper. It would be interesting to see how this new filter stands against other REAL brands in a REAL relevant test. Not the brand X vs. brand Y on some unspecified test. If you have such a test, please post the results.

-T

I plan on getting one of these air filters for our Saturn LW300 IF it becomes available. This product makes sense to me; it saves money in the long run over conventional air filters and you don't need to oil it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back