Subaru factory oil filter photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Subaru factory fill oil filter. Oil and filter was changed after 1,200 miles.

Car build in Nov/06 and according to Subaru the engine was built in May - June/06.

Outside can:

Drain back valve and top of filter element:

Element:

Element cut out of filter:

Endplate:

Bypass valve top:

Bypass valve bottom:

The can was pretty thick, more than anything else i've seen incl Pureones, Napa, Wix, Mobil 1 and ST.
dunno.gif

Local stealership sells these for $9.50 each...
laugh.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

I didn't know they had so many engines waiting for cars.

Since the engines are built and assembled in japan, then to QC, then across the ocean then rail to the midwest plant, I don't think 5-6 months is that long.
dunno.gif

Heck, most the parts are prob made in 2004!
laugh.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Looks like the first filter is probably the most important since there is so much wear material.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to get a tighter filtering filter like the Amsoil Eao in a new engine as soon as possible.

The value of the premium filter could be a lot higher in the first 10k.

Looks good to me. Seems well built with plenty of media. Price is a tad steep, but being that the filters are so tiny, maybe they are worth the price? I just bought one for my daughters new Impreza 2.5i SE. Compared to OTC filters, it is heavier. Now having looked inside thanks to your pics, I probably will use the factory filter for the first few OC's at least.

Thanks again for the pictures

In my own recent small comparison of filters for a Toyota 4.7L the heaviest and most solid feeling was the ecore Supertech. Just a real thick can. Not sure that weight is a good judge of a filter.

I think it looks to be a good filter too and probably a good choice. I just wouldn't consider it's "heft" one of it's advantages.

For $9.50 I would consider some of the other premium filters though. (M1, Pureone, Amsoil)

Also watch the dealer if they change the oil. They may sell the original equipment filter but may not use them in their lube shop.

I used a Supertech 6607 filter and Pennzoil 5w-30 for the oil change. $5 for the oil change incl filter.
thumbsup.gif

No one will be changing the oil in this car as I have never had any one ever change my oil in any car/truck/motorcyle/airplane that I have owned over the years.
grin.gif

The OEM filter was built well but I've never had a filter failure or engine problem using Frams, Supertech or anything else.

For almost $10, its a nice filter.. But way too much $$.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back