2004 Accord Idemitsu sm 4650 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest and last OCI with sm Idemitsu 0w-20. Purposefully cut this oil use short because I was disappointed with previous UOA's. I'm going back to Sopus, which has served me well in the past-PU, PP, and Shell 5w-20 are on deck. No oil added to this interval.

a03f12f9-c92e-4b54-9a9c-1f70ecc18058.jpg

I'm confused as to how the oil didn't serve you well on the previous run? It stayed in grade, wear metals are low (although that doesn't mean much). While the TBN may be look low, starting TBN on this oil is quite low, and depletion is non-linear. Granted I don't think it's a long drain oil, but 7.5K should be no problem.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That Formula Shell a few oils ago...that was conventional? Seems like value that's hard to beat.

Formula Shell = Quaker State Green Bottle

Check PQIA. The physical properties and add package are identical for both oils, at least when they tested them last.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I'm confused as to how the oil didn't serve you well on the previous run? It stayed in grade, wear metals are low (although that doesn't mean much). While the TBN may be look low, starting TBN on this oil is quite low, and depletion is non-linear. Granted I don't think it's a long drain oil, but 7.5K should be no problem.

Al was higher than expected, however Mikeysoft posted recently an oil sample tested by three competing labs, Cat, Als, and Blackstone and his Al value was 20 with ALS and CAT, 7 with Blackstone. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3044859#Post3044859 So I'm not sure it was as big a difference as I had thought. Blackstone did my first sample and Al was (3); using ALS saw the Al jump quite a bit.

In any event I thought this particular oil would last longer. Interstingly, the tbn in this sample was flagged at 2.3, while in the first sample tested by ALS, same oil, it was 2.3 and not flagged. Must be their cutoff.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That Formula Shell a few oils ago...that was conventional? Seems like value that's hard to beat.

It was Shell Synthetic, still a great value at a little over $3.00/qt, and yes it did quite well. I'm interested to see how the PU will test after ~7500 miles.

Gotcha. I think one of the issues is expressing that data as raw numbers with no error bars or acceptable ranges. 7ppm difference just isn't statistically significant, particularly if you don't have a VOA of the specific batch of oil you're using.

Dyson listed the starting TBN as 5.2, but of course there are always differences there among different labs. But, to me all of the oils look like they perform just fine in your engine. I think you may be expecting too much from a UOA if you think you'll be able to discern which one produces less wear.

With the starting TBN I agree that it's not a long-drain oil. My own comfort level is about 8K without getting a UOA on it, so I'm doing 8K/no filter change, then 7K w/filter.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Gotcha. I think one of the issues is expressing that data as raw numbers with no error bars or acceptable ranges. 7ppm difference just isn't statistically significant, particularly if you don't have a VOA of the specific batch of oil you're using.

Dyson listed the starting TBN as 5.2, but of course there are always differences there among different labs. But, to me all of the oils look like they perform just fine in your engine. I think you may be expecting too much from a UOA if you think you'll be able to discern which one produces less wear.

With the starting TBN I agree that it's not a long-drain oil. My own comfort level is about 8K without getting a UOA on it, so I'm doing 8K/no filter change, then 7K w/filter.

I accept the above and it is well taken, JOD. Thanks for the input. I knew about the low starting TBN and this was my first try of 0w-20. The car specs 5w-20. This is pretty much a hobby and something benign to obsess over.
wink.gif
I have little doubt the car will make it to 200k, hopefully beyond...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It should be noted that Honda/Acura Canada is still using this high moly Idemitsu GF-4 0W-20 oil. They obviously still like it and most cars it's used in will likely be averaging 6-7k OCIs.

And how do you KNOW they're doing this? In order for them to do this they would have to be in violation of their API license which required them to switch to SN/GF-5 in September 2011. Everybody thought Subaru USA was doing the same thing until Lukoil got his VOA back. My UOA confirmed the formula changed, likely GF-5 in bottles labeled GF-4.

Like I said in a previous thread, please provide some proof or stop making the assertion.

Quote:
I definitely prefer the Idemitsu made oil.

Color me shocked.

SnPb's UOA showed 0.2 TBN, but apparently viscosity index trumps all...

Last edited:
Subaru switched to GF-5 low moly oil 2 years ago.

Why in the world would Honda/Acura Canada run GF-5 oil in bottles labelled GF-4? That makes no sense at all.
Acura Canada only started carrying the 0W-20 grade under their own label instead of Honda's about a year ago, same Idemitsu bottle with an the Acura name instead in blue. And yes it says GF-4.

But if you're so convinced that the oil is the same as the lower VI low moly oil that Subaru is using why don't you put your money where your mouth is and send me the cost of a litre of Honda or Acura GF-4 oil plus the cost of a VOA and I'll buy a bottle and have it tested.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Subaru switched to GF-5 low moly oil 2 years ago.

Why in the world would Honda/Acura Canada run GF-5 oil in bottles labelled GF-4? That makes no sense at all.
Acura Canada only started carrying the 0W-20 grade under their own label instead of Honda's about a year ago, same Idemitsu bottle with an the Acura name instead in blue. And yes it says GF-4.

How do you KNOW Subaru switched and when? I bought five bottles of GF-4 Idemitsu oil from Subaru in February 2012 which was obviously still the high-moly formula. The UOA for that oil is HERE. The VI came back at 174 in that sample.

Then in August 2012 I bought four quarts which were labeled SM/GF-4 from the same dealer. When I was there, the parts guy had to open a freshly delivered case of oil, I even talked with him about it because I'd heard that Subaru had switched, but low and behold, the bottles were labeled SM/GF-4. I then installed the 5th (makeup) quart from my previous purchase plus three of the new quarts in my Civic.

Meanwhile, in December 2012 user "lukoil" bought a bottle labeled SM/GF-4 and did a VOA on it which came back with 77 ppm of Moly instead of the expected ~600 ( LINK ). What do you think that oil was? It's possible there is a low-moly GF-4 formula which became available in 2012 some time, but I highly doubt it. If it was a GF-4 formula, it certainly wasn't the same GF-4 formula we thought it was. He didn't pay for a KV40, so we don't know about the VI.

At nearly the same time lukoil did his VOA, I did a half OCI UOA in a quest to find my intake-leak. That intermediate UOA is HERE . Low and behold, the Moly came back at 284, indicating I'd put in some of the high-moly formula and some of the low-moly formula despite all the bottles being labeled SM/GF-4. I didn't pay for a KV40 measurement, because when I ordered the UOA I had no reason to suspect it wasn't the 197 VI formula. I then did another UOA at the end of my OCI, this time with a KV40 ( LINK ), the VI came back at 174 once again.

Why would Honda sell GF-5 oil in a GF-4 bottle? For the same reason Subaru is. It doesn't make any sense to me either, but it's obviously happening.

Subaru may have switched their procurement in 2011 when they were supposed to according to the API License, but actual high-moly GF-4 oil was available from them until at least February 2012 when I bought five quarts of it for use in my Civic. Some time between February and December 2012 the product in the bottles changed, even though the bottles themselves didn't.

Quote:
But if you're so convinced that the oil is the same as the lower VI low moly oil that Subaru is using why don't you put your money where your mouth is and send me the cost of a litre of Honda or Acura GF-4 oil plus the cost of a VOA and I'll buy a bottle and have it tested.

I've already put quite a lot of money where my mouth is, having paid for three UOAs including two with the KV40 add-on. How about you at least share the e-mail or whatever you have from Honda or Idemitsu saying they are in fact continuing to deliver GF-4 oil? No? Judging by the bottles are you? I've just gone to great length to detail why I'm suspicious of the bottle labeling. The other reason I'm skeptical is the API licensing requirements. I'm too lazy to dig up the info from the official API site right now (it's buried there someplace), but Infineum has a good summary site ( LINK ) which states:
Quote:
After September 30, 2011, the ILSAC GF-5 minimum performance standard for gasoline passenger car engine oils becomes the only basis for issuance of a license to use the API Certification Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back