Steering issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just recently noticed the steering wheel on my accord is slightly off centered, not by much, but it is. It may have been that way before just never noticed. But recently when i go on the highway 70-80mph, the steering wheel seems to "float". It moves back and forth by itself, really. And its not as firm in the middle like it used to be on the highway, has a lighter feel to it. I just got new tires but would it cause the steering wheel to float like this?

i guess another way to explain it would be "it feels like its pulling to the right, and to the left, back to right, then pulling left again, just constantly and i keep having to correct it, like the tires are turning back and forth on there own, and the steering just feels dead on center, like no feedback. just very easy and floaty. whats up with this? oh, and the power steering fluid is honda fluid and it was changed out last year.

That sounds like a problem. With the car stopped and the engine off (no power assist steering) can you turn the steering wheel back and forth a little without great effort?

Get it in the air and push and pull on the tires to check your tie rod ends.

But I think it's something in your rack and pinion. If you have u-joints going in, one might be nearly broken. But get checked out ASAP.

All valid points ^^ but if you indeed think it's happened since the new tires were installed, that could be what you are feeling.

I've noticed that LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires are a lot more "flexible" than traditional tires. In fact, I had to increase the tire pressures in my CRV by 4 pounds all around after fitting Hankook H727s to maintain the same steering response as before (with no detriment to ride).

So before you spend any money, experiment with pressures. Increase the fronts, and perhaps increase the rears a little relative to the fronts.

You have an out of balance or out of round tire. One of the hallmark signs is a specific speed it starts and stops at.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
All valid points ^^ but if you indeed think it's happened since the new tires were installed, that could be what you are feeling.

I've noticed that LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires are a lot more "flexible" than traditional tires. In fact, I had to increase the tire pressures in my CRV by 4 pounds all around after fitting Hankook H727s to maintain the same steering response as before (with no detriment to ride).

So before you spend any money, experiment with pressures. Increase the fronts, and perhaps increase the rears a little relative to the fronts.
+ 1

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No i did not have an alignment...would that fix the problem?

It may fix the problem but just as important it will keep your warranty from being voided-

Unless I am mistaken tire companies need to see an alinement for most warranty claims...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No i did not have an alignment...would that fix the problem?

If the alignment guy happens to come back to you with "this thingymajigger must be repaired before I can do an alignment on your car" there's a good chance you'll then know how to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back