Battery Warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering adding an 80W to aid in cold weather starts and while checking out a phillipsandtemro Temro Zerostart factsheet I noticed some interesting figures pp.74 relating to Battery Power available at given temperatures to Engine power required to start.

At -20 deg F a battery has less than half its rated power and the engine requires 3.5 times the power to turn over than at 80 deg. F

I say go for it. Being in the Great White North it can only benefit you.
Have you thought about a block heater at all? I had a 1984 Rabbit Diesel that had a block heater. Lived in Michigan at the time and plugged it in every winter night.
Car turned over every single time without waiting for the glow plugs to warm.

I had a Rabbit diesel in the 1980s also. When it got very cold and I was waiting for a block heater to ship, I would bring the battery in the basement for the evening. I did this for a week. It started like a dream. But the wrenches stuck to my hands it was so cold installing it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I had a Rabbit diesel in the 1980s also. When it got very cold and I was waiting for a block heater to ship, I would bring the battery in the basement for the evening. I did this for a week. It started like a dream. But the wrenches stuck to my hands it was so cold installing it.

No need to fit a battery warmer, just replace the battery with a top quality one (Bosch?), BUT pick a larger one than normal, as you often have a list of choices that will fit in the tray.

I have a oil pan heater and freeze plug heater in the truck. I doesnt need one but its sure nice having instant heat. Keeps the engine bay warm too.

Batteries seem to last longer with the warmer. Obviously it starts better with one, too, but my battery warmer is only really in use with the block heater, so hard to say how effective it is overall.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I have a oil pan heater and freeze plug heater in the truck. I doesnt need one but its sure nice having instant heat. Keeps the engine bay warm too.

That would also aid starting quite a bit!

You are already using a 0W20 oil?? My experience....and the product data sheets..... shows that - 20 f is a piece of cake, easy cranking and easy starting. With considerable winter mountain experience........-40f.......0W20 has allowed easy starts. -20f seems to crank almost like summertime. Save the additional investment and the 80w load on your electric bill and just skip it!!

FWIW,

I'm was running M1 0W20 syn blend oil and did not ever have any issues starting a -20F cold soaked J32 engine at the end of the work day. Die Hard Gold battery, 24F size.

But the other side of the story is that my car spent the night in a heated garage, so YMMV.

On the other hand, running 80W costs less than 1 cent/hour (assuming $0.10/KWH).

Last edited:
Turns out its the 50W version for my application as the blanket is not supposed to overlap.

I have a Group 35 battery, made by Johnson Controls. Why are there battery "series" and "groups"? Are they the same? My battery type is not listed in the above posted spec sheet. Its 30" measured along its outside and the 50W blanket is 28" and said to fit Series 26, 26R, 70.

Found a chart

Did you know there is a place called Ballsack AB? It should be the Province's Capitol City

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoomie
At -20 deg F a battery has less than half its rated power and the engine requires 3.5 times the power to turn over than at 80 deg. F

They work, but I don't like them. People forget to take them off in the summer, and depending upon battery location, that can be a good or a bad thing. I prefer the small permanent mount chargers, which also keep a battery at an optimum temperature, probably using less than 80W, too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...I prefer the small permanent mount chargers, which also keep a battery at an optimum temperature, probably using less than 80W, too.

Hi Garak, I didn't turn up much googling these, could you recommend a brand or sumsing?

Hi Garak, I didn't turn up much googling these, could you recommend a brand or sumsing?

Googling them is very difficult, particularly because of the brand name.
wink.gif
The one I use has a brand name of Solar, so you can imagine what comes up in a search engine under solar battery chargers.

In any case, go to the Napa Canada website and open Napa Catalog 4, valid until December 31. One Page 42, you'll see the one I'm talking about on the left side of the page, second from the bottom at $32.99, MBC 85-300A. That's identical to the one I use in my old F-150, except mine has the Solar name on it; this one appears to be rebranded. In -40 weather, the F-150 turns over like it's summer.

It's extremely easy to mount, with no tools needed except to loosen battery terminals and a screwdriver. You can see in the picture it has an L-frame that screws to the back of the charger. The L-fram sits under the battery, which holds the charger in place. It's even easier to install than a battery blanket, and the last battery in my truck lasted around ten years thanks to this thing. The bonus is that if you ever do something foolish and run your battery down, you never have to hunt for a charger.

Did you know there is a place called Ballsack AB? It should be the Province's Capitol City

I think you mean Balzac, AB - it is a town NE of Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back