*New* Purolator Synthetic Filter *Pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I see Purolator finally got a web page up on their new synthetic PSL series.
From the web page:

Quote:
It's also 100% synthetic so it's designed to work best with synthetic oils.
What? C'mon Puro...don't talk down to us.

Yeah I know. I actually might return this one and get the PLS14459, as I have a used Pure One equivalent that I could compare with.

Quote:
$6.99 vs $9.49 Retail. I use the online coupons and I typically pick up the Pure Ones for ~$4-5.

With online ordering and a $10 off $30 AAP code (add a filler item), 4 P1's can be had for ~$5, 3 PSF's would be ~$6.65 each. Not bad.

Not sure a direct comparison media area of P1/BD+ to the PSF is appropriate, two different type media. Might be interesting though.

And unlike the one poster, I like the textured can for ease of installation and removal. Color not a factor in performance, but the blue does look better than P1 puke yellow. I liked the Puro made red AAP Total Grip.

If it was from Walmart you could cut it open and they would not notice when you return it. On the other hand this is Lent and we are suppose to repent for our sins, not commit new ones.

Originally Posted By: CarbonCrew
Yeah I know. I actually might return this one and get the PLS14459, as I have a used Pure One equivalent that I could compare with.

Do it! That's my filter size!!!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
$6.99 vs $9.49 Retail. I use the online coupons and I typically pick up the Pure Ones for ~$4-5.

With online ordering and a $10 off $30 AAP code (add a filler item), 4 P1's can be had for ~$5, 3 PSF's would be ~$6.65 each. Not bad.

Not sure a direct comparison media area of P1/BD+ to the PSF is appropriate, two different type media. Might be interesting though.

And unlike the one poster, I like the textured can for ease of installation and removal. Color not a factor in performance, but the blue does look better than P1 puke yellow. I liked the Puro made red AAP Total Grip.

^Heck yes I'll buy it if it's blue > puke stain.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
There's only one thing I don't like and that's the stupid textured paint.

You judge it's aesthetics when it's mostly hidden in the engine bay.

I, for one, like the texture on the filter. It makes changing the filter much easier by hand.

Originally Posted By: raremotive

I, for one, like the texture on the filter. It makes changing the filter much easier by hand.

I do not think he cares about how it looks.

The issue with the textured paint is that some people, including myself, have had the pureone's with textured paint over-sprayed on the INSIDE of the filter gasket, and when you remove the gasket there are loose particles of this textured paint that could get inside your engine.

Originally Posted By: stranger706

The issue with the textured paint is that some people, including myself, have had the pureone's with textured paint over-sprayed on the INSIDE of the filter gasket, and when you remove the gasket there are loose particles of this textured paint that could get inside your engine.

Well, raremotive isn't completely wrong. As dumb as it may be, I do care a bit as to how it looks. With that said, I'm not saying it's a bad filter or that I wouldn't use one. I've been using the yellow-textured PureONE filters on our Saturn for a couple of years now. I'm just saying that all other things being equal I'd prefer the Bosch equivalents.

Well, raremotive isn't completely wrong. As dumb as it may be, I do care a bit as to how it looks. With that said, I'm not saying it's a bad filter or that I wouldn't use one. I've been using the yellow-textured PureONE filters on our Saturn for a couple of years now. I'm just saying that all other things being equal I'd prefer the Bosch equivalents.

Fair enough.

Due to having to change multiple of mine and family's filters. It's nice to just reach in and twist without having to worry about a filter wrench fitting because your hand is all buttered up. So I get best of all worlds. Filtration, convenience and time savings.

If overspray is an issue, look at the filter before you buy it. I always do. For other reasons too.

Last edited:
time 3:30 sat 2-5-12 just talked to my advanced shop. was told they have them, but will not be on shelf till sun 2-6-12.

Originally Posted By: morris
time 3:30 sat 2-5-12 just talked to my advanced shop. was told they have them, but will not be on shelf till sun 2-6-12.

You mean 2-25 and 2-26-2012

Originally Posted By: stranger706

+1 +1 +1,

I have no problems with a PureOne. Major problem with textured paint overspray inside the can. Plus it isn't paint, it is a coating. Neither of which I do not want inside my engine. I'll pay $1.45 more for a Bosch.

....... I, for one, like the texture on the filter. It makes changing the filter much easier by hand.
01.gif
Never had an issue with P1 overspray, afaik it was limited to intro of gold P1, history. And, I always inspect any filter prior to purchase so it's a non factor. No reason to pay more for BP for me. AAP P1 deals with codes easily beat AZ BP price. Texture a user friendly feature on the new PSF imo.

Yeah P1 color sucks, but as said, it's hidden and has no effect on function.

Originally Posted By: morris
yep volk06 i was in a hurry and iam old, you have to cut an old man some slack. you guys are great.

Lol it's all good.
cheers3.gif

Since many want to see one of these cut open.

First up is a Bosch D3300

The new Purolator Synthetic PSL14612.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back