Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 (3 OCs) 5,500 | 5,180 | 7,490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my last 3 OCs (plus the previous ones that can fit on the report). All of them have been with Pennzoil Ultra in 5w-20. I would have gone to 7,400 on the 5,180 OC, but I would have ran way over on the mileage before I could change it (a vacation trip). The 7,490 OC was a round trip from the Houston area to Yellowstone to Las Vegas and back in 100+ degree temperatures and driving speeds of 75+ the entire time.

I have wanted to do a 7,000+ OCI for quite some time, but have not had the opportunity to do so without going well over (I have a warranty and cannot go past 7,500 per OC). Based upon what I see in the 7,490 OC, I will be changing my OCI to this. The difference (as many of you have either alluded to or plainly said) between a 5K and a 7.5K OC is nil and as shown in the UOAs, all of you are correct.

One thing that I have noticed with the oil is the additive pack seems to have gone back to the way it was about a year ago. From my early OCs to the ones in the middle, the calcium, phosphorus, and zinc dropped slightly, but the last OC has them back at the levels they were when I initially started using PU. Perhaps, it is a coincidence or Pennzoil changed the formula slightly from SM to SN? Not sure...

At any rate, comments and input always welcome!

2010fx4060708.jpg

Great UOA with exceptional results. That Pennzoil Ultra in 5W-20 sure gave you outstanding protection. I bet you've got a spotless engine from running this Ultra!

Thank you for posting your results.

I drive this truck with this engine. Before this site I had tried Ultra and think it will be my next OC. What air filter are you using ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23
I drive this truck with this engine. Before this site I had tried Ultra and think it will be my next OC. What air filter are you using ?

Motorcraft; I checked and Purolator does not make a PureOne for this truck, so I remained with MC. Right after I bought the truck, I bought a K&N, but never installed it (and I think that I am glad I did not after reading about them). I guess I need to ebay it
lol.gif

At any rate with the insolubles and silicon as low as they are I see no need to change from MC. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: walk23
I have an AirAid and think I will go Motorcraft.
Thanks

Not sure about the cost difference (or if you like them or if it is more readily available), but Purolator does make a Classic air filter for the F-150. It was a bit cheaper here for the Purolator (MC=$20 and Purolator=$18). I thought I read somewhere that Purolator makes the air filters for Motorcraft (I am certain the FL-820s is a Purolator oil filter built to Ford specification), so it may not be a large difference in quality.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: steve20
your quest for the magic elixir for the 5.4 is over--sorry dude. Need to start a quest on another vehicle

LOL - I agree. So I am tweaking my Brute Force 750 (going to Rotella T6 from Kawasaki 10w-40) and my 2006 Azera (going to QSUD 5w-20 from Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20).

I will be posting UOAs as soon as I change the oil and get a run out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back