2011 Equinox first oil change miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Thanks to BITOG, I'm already thinking about the first OC on a new vehicle with only about 500 miles on it so far
smile.gif

This model has the 3.0L V6, recommended grade is 5W-30. I'm aware of the Dexos oil specification and plan to use PP or M1 5W-30 and Wix filter. I believe that factory fill is Mobil but not sure which one.

What I'm wondering is when to do the first OC? I was thinking 5K miles? too soon? do it sooner? I do plan to send a sample in to Blackstone just to see initial oil condition.
thanks

Is that a DI engine?
I would be tempted to do it sooner on the DI model.
I know many people say no need to change early, but when it comes to the first OC, I'm old fashioned. I'm doing mine around 3K miles.

If it's a DI engine I'd do oil changes OFTEN.

I'm a big supporter of OLMs and they should be in every vehicle but DI is an answer that I'd rather not ever deal with.

Use whatever they spec and change it often. Hopefully you don't have any problems that require the cleaning that some have had to deal with.

Enjoy the new ride!

Bill

thanks gents.
Yes it's the DI engine and my apologies for not mentioning this. It was the primary reason for my asking and I left that out
frown.gif

I did some research and saw mention of fuel dilution into the oil so I'm thinking better safe than sorry. OCI's were a bit scattered as to what folks did so back to BITOG for this. I'm ok with 4K-5K OCI's in general, but I tend to agree with 3K for the initial oil change.

I will admit that I've never followed the OLM in our 2008 Accord - I always go by the mileage. Result is that it has had more than the OLM recommended oil changes for its life but I'm ok with that.

I dumped the FF on my 2011 Terrain at 1k. I used AC Delco from the dealer and will switch to PP or QSUD at 4k. I used a PF 63 this time, but will likely use a Purolator or WIX next time.

3000 miles seems reasonable. The fuel dilution problem seems more prevalent on the I4. Since the factory fill is a 'blend', I'm not sure an early oil change is the best idea. The break in is slowed by that oil.

I'm shooting for 2500 on my Terrain as I have a extended trip coming up right after.
The filter number for that engine isn't all that easy to find in some brands. Even so, the ones I've seen are priced higher that the rest of the filters of a brand and grade.
The filter is the same one for Jeep V6, and a few others, yet some stores don't carry it in the better grade filters.

Did our first OC at 5500 miles on our 2011 Equinox with the I4. Still had 40% left on OLM. Saw an increase of 1 mpg after the switch to synthetic oil. I'm using the Mobil1 filter.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
If it's a DI engine I'd do oil changes OFTEN.

I'm a big supporter of OLMs and they should be in every vehicle but DI is an answer that I'd rather not ever deal with.

Use whatever they spec and change it often. Hopefully you don't have any problems that require the cleaning that some have had to deal with.

Enjoy the new ride!

Bill

+1 My fingers are crossed that Jeep doesn't go DI in 2012. I hope to be in the market for a new vehicle then and would rather stay clear of DI, at least for now.

Modern Di engines don't necessaraly have the issues that early DI engines had. Most if not all the issues have been delt with. Why we self appointed experts advice new car owners to NOT follow the manufactures recomendation is a shame.

I think that doing the UOA at the initial change will help to clarify what (if any) fuel dilution issues may be present. As was mentioned, this may not even be a factor. I think that based upon the responses an inital change at 3K is not unreasonable and would have included initial break-in.

I usually order filters 3-4 at a time online along with any parts I'm getting. A check of Rockauto shows the Wix 57045 equiv for Delco PF63 at $4.38,about average for what I pay for other filters.

Thank you for your help, always knowledgeable here
smile.gif

I got a new Hyundai earlier this year and did my first oil change at 2 months, 2500 miles and there were quite a few little metal bits in the oil. I would probably do the same on any new car but I'm no engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back