SUS Vis@210F 50.8

cSt Vis@100C 7.51

Flashpoint F 315

Fuel % 2.5

Antifreeze % ?

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.5

TBN 2.2

This oil was in the sump for 4 and a half years. Car was a $500 special off of ebay, with the owner needing it gone quick as the property it was being stored on had just been sold. Car had a weak alternator, so he just drove it on short trips around town with everything electrical turned off from 2008 to 2009. During the past year this car had sat completely unused after the owner moved out of state.

Got the car running after putting in a new alternator and drove it 3 hours home. Idle was extremely rough, with the car acting like it wanted to stall. Putting in new spark plugs improved the idle somewhat, but it's still rough. New fuel filter was put in, but no improvement in idle. I plan on using this as a daily driver for the next few weeks to use up whatever stale gas is still left in the tank and see if the idle improves.

Question:

What are the chances of the sodium being a coolant leak with potassium being zero? Does anyone know if bulk Jiffy Lube Mobil conventional used sodium as an additive?

Last edited:
Bulk Mobil Clean from 2006-2007, probably had sodium as an additive. There's a good amount of fuel dilution going on for an oil with only 7500 miles on it though. Really thinned it out to 20wt territory.

Try some Techron Complete fuel system cleaner or Regane fuel system cleaner to clean up the injectors. This engine probably has throtle body injection rather than port injection. Either way, this stuff will insure clean injectors.The oil analysis works like what you would expect after 4 years. Give it a 1.5k to 2k OCI with some MMO and get another UOA to see how the engine survived this neglect. FWIW--Oldtommy

The iron level is probably from rust on the inside of the upper oil pan/ valve covers, possible even the valve train. I had the same thing on my olds which had been sitting for 3 years. Do short oci's some mmo might be good here I bet the sodium is from the oil. If you had water/ coolant sitting in the oil for a year, i doubt the tbn would be 2.2 it would be lower.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Try some Techron Complete fuel system cleaner

I put some of this in just after buying it and filling the tank for the first time. Idle finally seems to be smoothing out just in the last couple of days, so I'm assuming it's working. Will use another 12 gallon treatment of this on the next tank of gas.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Would love to hear on-going updates on this car and how it does!

Will do. This is a project car we bought for the purpose of being a first car for our teenager. It needs new CV half shaft axles (which we just bought) and a new clutch, but the clutch won't be purchased now until money is available in the budget. The half shafts need to be removed to get at the clutch, so these two things will be done at the same time. In the meantime, we've just been cleaning the interior (which was absolutely filthy) and attempting to salvage the paint. The paint is a lost cause, with the clear coat peeling on the hood, and the roof permanently stained from the piles of maple leaves that were left on it for the past year. Repainting might be a project for next year.

The idle has smoothed out a bit now with two tanks of Techron fuel system cleaner and one tank of B12 Chemtool treated gas, but it's still rough (and hard to start when the engine is hot). I'm going to send the fuel injectors out to be cleaned and flow tested whenever we get around to getting it in our garage to do the clutch work. I'll probably do a MMO piston soak for the week or so it takes to get the injectors back.

For the rough idle, I would check the timing belt. My friend years ago (mid to later '90's) had a Storm GSI, and he never changed the belt. The belt stretched and caused the intake cam to jump two teeth. Which caused a horrible idle and hard starting.

I really liked that car, quick and nimble. I remember the engine was very noisy in the upper RPM range, and it had a 7700 RPM redline. Highest I had seen on a non-motorcycle. It did not take long for the rust to take over and ruin the chassis, so by the time the car was 8 years old, it went to the junk yard.

Thanks, I'll check that. Replacing the timing belt is actually down on my extended "to do" list, as I'm pretty sure it's never been changed.

Wow, props to you for taking on this project. Hope your regimen for getting it back in top working order turns out well, and as others have said, please keep us posted.

Yeah, not worried about the iron. Considering the conditions, I was expecting iron to be somewhat high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back