My car beat up a PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last several times ive posted cut open pics of oil filters from my grand prix, they have all been wavy/warped. this pureone is no different. well it is kinda, the wixs' from the past have never looked this bad.

in the last pic, and the 2nd to last pic youll see one of the pleats actually tore. the tear on top MIGHT have been from me cutting it open with my dremel, however the tear on bottom is completely unexplainable...

enjoy! please comment!!

100_4369.jpg

100_4370.jpg

100_4371.jpg

100_4375.jpg

100_4374.jpg

lol. from the last few filters ive cut open, im thinking i do... i do lose about a half gallon of coolant every 4-6 months, but i never gain any oil. i also understand the coolant could be getting burned off so i would never see it in the oil. do you know, if this was the case, would the oil get milky? cuz mine looks perfect till the end....

Last edited:
That to me looks like the filters restricting flow some before by pass opens.

have you ever tried the bigger pf52 equivalent to your car?

a P1 may not be the filter for your application,but on the other hand never seen your problem with a p1 have many opened up.

i believe he stated before no coolant leak??

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What exact engine and how many miles?

3800 v6
Well I am duh!!!

Time for a UOA on that engine.

That coolant is going somewhere, and this engine is notorious for failed intake gaskets.

I lost about a quart of coolant in my 3800, and in a panic, sent in a sample to be analyzed.... and it came back clean.

About a month later, I found a pinhole in the upper radiator hose.

However, with this engine, it is "when" and not "if".

have you ever tried the bigger pf52 equivalent to your car

not enough clearance for the pf52 on w bodies.

very interesting to see this, I have had several cars with that engine... makes me wonder if my filters look like that.

Originally Posted By: Rachael

have you ever tried the bigger pf52 equivalent to your car

not enough clearance for the pf52 on w bodies.

very interesting to see this, I have had several cars with that engine... makes me wonder if my filters look like that.

you sure?? i did a OC on one last week and it was tight but looked as it may fit.

i've opend many from 3800's.. owned many and none looked like that.

on my 3800, there is plenty of clearance for a pf52. ive ran the equalivent a time or 2 with no fitment issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
on my 3800, there is plenty of clearance for a pf52. ive ran the equalivent a time or 2 with no fitment issues.

thats what i thought, looked like it would fit but didn't have one to try.

It takes a real good amount of coolant to make the oil milky. I would imagine the water portion of the coolant would boil off, but the glycol will not.

Our Windstar has a lower-gasket leak, it looses maybe 16oz of coolant into the oil during a 2.6k OCI. I've never seen a warped filter because of it..but maybe if I left the oil in longer, I would.

How long was this filter in service?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
It takes a real good amount of coolant to make the oil milky.

+1. On one vehicle, we had coolant leaking into the oil, loss of coolant same as you have, and the oil looked fine but an oil analysis showed where the coolant was going....

The filter looks basically OK except for the torn pleat (did that happen on dis-assembly?), but it does look like its experienced a lot of pressure across the media. The gritty spots on the metal parts of the filter look worrisome. Like grit from coolant reacting with oil... :-/

Last edited:

Theoretically, a filter should be able to take a pressure delta across the media up to the point of the bypass valve opening without any damage. For most PureOne filters, the bypass is set to around 12~14 psi.

What are all the little beads all over the place on that cut open filter? Could those be coolant beads ... almost looks like grit.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back