Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 quart bottle from WalMart. Date code on the bottle reads: "10MAY10". Sampling technique was timed two minute shaking of the bottle, open and pour into Blackstone sample container.

voa_Rotella5W-40T6.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
... Are older VOAs showing this as well, or is it just this sample?

Neither this 2008 VOA nor this early 2010 VOA (most of the way down page 2) show those lead or tin levels, so Blackstone's suggestion that it was contamination during storage or shipping along the way could fit.

My VOA and the 2008 seem to track very well. The early 2010 VOA seems low on additives in comparison, but I have no idea what kind of production variation is allowed, certainly could be within accepted limits.

Originally Posted By: daman
That Calcium is hard to get over. Whats making it up Phos?

damen, is your point low calcium? I was under the impression that both calcium and magnesium were present in compounds that make up the detergent, dispersant, and acid neutralization additives.

Originally Posted By: AMRoberts
Originally Posted By: daman
That Calcium is hard to get over. Whats making it up Phos?

damen, is your point low calcium? I was under the impression that both calcium and magnesium were present in compounds that make up the detergent, dispersant, and acid neutralization additives.

Your right yes,my comment was the low calcium(det.) just wondering what is being used in place if anything,i can't see it being that low and doing anything efficient.

Magnesium is the main detergent in this oil, with the calcium as a supplement. I've read that Mg is a very, very effective detergent, there are just concerns about it's 'abrasiveness'.

If you look at old oil reports from the 1970's, this is pretty well exactly what an oil add-pack looked like, EXCEPT for the moly and boron. Obviously, the base oils are much better here, but this is still a very, very 'old school' add-pack!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Magnesium is the main detergent in this oil, with the calcium as a supplement. I've read that Mg is a very, very effective detergent, there are just concerns about it's 'abrasiveness'.

Why switch away from Calcium like CI had and go to Mg? is Mg cheaper, more effective?

Mg-based detergents have higher TBN for a given sulfated ash compared to Calcium-based detergents. That's simply because Mg has lower atomic mass than calcium. That's why there has been a move to Mg-based detergents in API CJ-4 oils, since the sulfated ash limit was lowered from API CI-4+.

I think the concern about Mg vs Ca is that relatively speaking Mg containing detergents compete with ZDDP a bit more avidly than Ca containing detergents for surface spots. which is maybe a problem considering ZDDP is in the process of being reduced.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: addyguy

If you look at old oil reports from the 1970's, this is pretty well exactly what an oil add-pack looked like, EXCEPT for the moly and boron. Obviously, the base oils are much better here, but this is still a very, very 'old school' add-pack!

Addyguy,
Unless I am mistaken the old original BOB brought up the abrasive issue many years ago in a discussion over, I believe the oil he sold versus Delvac 1300 S. I never saw any proof of that in a white paper or any otherway. I don't believe that issue is relevant. Of course this is just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation!!
Greg Harrison

Originally Posted By: RodB
I didn't think the Rotella T synthetic oils contained moly. Can anyone confirm this?

The older CI-4+ did not. The newer CJ-4 does contain a minute amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back