Pennzoil Ultra Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
The question is will NON-BITOG types see any distinction between this and Pennzoil Platinum. Regardless of whether or not it's great oil, it will be hard not to be another Castrol Edge.

I think it would have been a much smarter to market this under the Shell brand name. America fills up at Shell gas stations and associates the name with Top Tier gasoline. Even before it was so called. Mobil gasoline is not even seen that way. Use that to your advantage for God sake.

Since the marketing/branding/advertising is the ONLY thing that matters I honestly don't know how a first rate company could misunderstand the U.S. market like this. Every name brand oil on the shelf is oil related, engine failure free. That makes the marketing department more important than the R&D department in the U.S.

I guess we will just have to see how they take this to market since we have no clue what they are going to say. But I must disagree with calling it Shell. Shell already has PCMO and even a synthetic and most in this country look at it as a second tier oil, the so called discount oil. You cannot come out with a Shell Ultra and expect to get a first tier price for it. On the other hand, the Pennzoil brand is already the number one selling PCMO in America so it's a perfect fit. I like a lot on here am not sure the Pennzoil brand needs two synthetic oils. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The question is will NON-BITOG types see any distinction between this and Pennzoil Platinum. Regardless of whether or not it's great oil, it will be hard not to be another Castrol Edge.

I think it would have been a much smarter to market this under the Shell brand name. America fills up at Shell gas stations and associates the name with Top Tier gasoline. Even before it was so called. Mobil gasoline is not even seen that way. Use that to your advantage for God sake.

Since the marketing/branding/advertising is the ONLY thing that matters I honestly don't know how a first rate company could misunderstand the U.S. market like this. Every name brand oil on the shelf is oil related, engine failure free. That makes the marketing department more important than the R&D department in the U.S.

I guess we will just have to see how they take this to market since we have no clue what they are going to say. But I must disagree with calling it Shell. Shell already has PCMO and even a synthetic and most in this country look at it as a second tier oil, the so called discount oil. You cannot come out with a Shell Ultra and expect to get a first tier price for it. On the other hand, the Pennzoil brand is already the number one selling PCMO in America so it's a perfect fit. I like a lot on here am not sure the Pennzoil brand needs two synthetic oils. Time will tell.

But Johnny, you have a Shell Avatar, at the moment, and you're a Top Tier gentleman.

If you want to use the official company abbreviation is would be PZL.

I like that, definitely better than PU......Can we make it official BITOG members????

PZL?

But Johnny, you have a Shell Avatar, at the moment, and you're a Top Tier gentleman.

I thank you, but that is highly debatable.

Last edited:

Which is just really odd.

I push Shell Full Synthetic here in the shop and people really like the product for the money.

You would have to call it PZL-PU as the PZL stands for Pennzoil. That get to confusing so lets just stick to PU.

Doh, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that the official internal abbreviation for PU was PZL. I see now, you meant that is the abbreviation for Pennzoil.

PU it is, I guess.

Do oil companies have internal names for products pre launch? Like the car companies do with vehicle platforms and car model code names.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton

Which is just really odd.

I push Shell Full Synthetic here in the shop and people really like the product for the money.

Exactly, for the money.

I thank you, but that is highly debatable.

I don't think it is

Question Johnny...

Is Pennzoil and Quaker State the same oil? I noticed both have a "European Ultra 5w-30" formulation that have identical specs. As does the "European 5w-40".

Johnny,

What do you feel the first OCI should be for UOA on this. Others will likely beat me to an UOA as the wife is on 4 month intervals currently.

Next question,

With the higher quality basestocks would this cause less additive dipletion?

You realize the first sample is going to have some left over Red Line it. I don't know, pull a sample at 5K I guess.

I don't know as the base stock would have that much to do with it unless you are really extending it out there. If, and I say if it cleans like they say it does, the first one or two changes might not look that good. Really don't know. This will be a first for all of us, or some of us.

Yup I should probably sample on the 2nd OCI. I will trend the VOA with it.

I would think with a steady dose of PP and redline the engine should look really currently. I don't know if there is much to clean

Originally Posted By: wwillson
bump

Thank You Sir!!

I really thought I would have the results today. I tracked the USPS priority sample and it did not arrive yet. I'm leaving for vegas tomorrow for valentines day ( Daytona 500
19.gif
)and will check my email when I get there and settled.

Tomorrow night we have tickets to Carlos Mencia

Originally Posted By: buster
They need to in some way make this oil suitable for longer drain intervals to compete with the others.

Would be nice, but that might raise a problem with their Pennzoil warranty. To maintain your warranty you need to change your oil every 4 months or 4k miles (I'm pretty sure it's 4k). They could change it and say 7.5k mi if you're using PU, but then that reflects poorly on PP implying it can't last that long.

They could go to a tiered warranty like Valvoline has, but rather then changing the duration of the warranty (since they've already implied PYB can go 300k), they would have to keep everything at a 300k mile warranty, and than just change the OCI depending on the product. But that would result in reduced sales I guess since they wouldn't be selling 4k mi OCI for their top tier oils.

Oh well, I'm just rambling and thinking this through at this point

There is an UOA posted today with 6,000 on it with a TBN of over 7 left in it. Tell me that won't go 10-12k not bad for PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back