Overfilling on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My usual OCIs are around 5k and my car burns approximately 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes (depending on how I drive). Is it at all harmful to overfill the sump by 1/2 quart on the initial fill in order to avoid frequent top-offs? Does anyone do this?

My Accord's sump is 4.5 quarts and this would also make it so I could just dump in the entire 5 quart jug.

I check the oil frequently when I can actually find a level surface. (By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for that? It seems as though everywhere I park there is a decline/incline, including my garage/driveway.)

Thanks!

I've done it from time to time in my Ford's 4.5 qt sump for many years with no ill effects. I pour in 5 qts rather than have half a qt laying around. OTOH if I have half a qt from topping up then I use 4.5 qts.

I think Patman who is a moderator here does just that with his wife's Civic and his Corvette as well.

You'd probably be OK with a 1/2 quart.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks! It is just one of those things that makes life a tiny bit easier.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
My usual OCIs are around 5k and my car burns approximately 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes (depending on how I drive). Is it at all harmful to overfill the sump by 1/2 quart on the initial fill in order to avoid frequent top-offs? Does anyone do this?

My Accord's sump is 4.5 quarts and this would also make it so I could just dump in the entire 5 quart jug.

I check the oil frequently when I can actually find a level surface. (By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for that? It seems as though everywhere I park there is a decline/incline, including my garage/driveway.)

Thanks!

Gas stations are level. With such a predictable rate, I wouldn't think any more often than every or every other fill up is necessary.

BTW, I do it on my wife's Odyssey. It uses a fair amount of oil and has since new (more than I'd like). I'm not super-confident in how often my wife will check the oil, and I like a margin of safety there between the times I get around to checking it.

it hasn't hurt anything since I've been doing it for the last 6,000 miles.

I check my oil once or twice a month when filling up with gas. Though my dip stick does have markings for both cold readings and hot

I over fill all the time by 1/4 to 1/2,no ill effects to date.

yes i would most certainly do it if you have a consummation issue. You would rather be over filled then under.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Gas stations are level. With such a predictable rate, I wouldn't think any more often than every or every other fill up is necessary.

Every gas station I go to is on a horrible slope. It must be an Ohio thing.
lol.gif

My '99 Accord is of the same generation as your '01, and I have been putting five quarts in it for the past 121K.
Same for my Aerostar, for the past 161K.
A mere half quart overfill is of no concern.

My best friend overfills a full quart everytime b/c he burns like a quarts and a half every 3k. I got him to switch to M1 0w-40 though and the new problem is, he's not burning it anymore with that in it! lol

If your car burns 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes, you don't need to top-off from initial fill at full level and you don't need to over-fill by 1/2 quarts. Only time you need to top-off to full level is when it is down to add line, which is usually 1 quart low.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If your car burns 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes, you don't need to top-off from initial fill at full level and you don't need to over-fill by 1/2 quarts. Only time you need to top-off to full level is when it is down to add line, which is usually 1 quart low.

It is hard for me to even let it get 1/4 of a quart low, let alone down to the fill line.
crazy2.gif

It really bugs me when my oil level drops. I don't know why.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

It is hard for me to even let it get 1/4 of a quart low, let alone down to the fill line.
crazy2.gif

It really bugs me when my oil level drops. I don't know why.
frown.gif

How'd you feel if it was a brand new Honda van? Trend seems to be improving though.

Add line on mine is about 1/2 quart low I think. The dealership did my first (free) change and by the time it was 3k miles it had gone to the add line. I put a full quart in and it filled it a hair over the full line.

Unless I'm thinking wrong. I was thinking half-way on the add to fill lines was where I need to be (?). I don't know where is optimal but I keep it on the full line just in case.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Always add a full 5qts to mine which calls for 4.8. The wife's car calls for 4.5 and I add just that. 1/4 won't hurt anything.

nope....

I always under-fill my cars by 1/4 to 1/2 quarts low. '94 LS400 requires 5.5 quarts and I fill with 5 quarts, '00 E430 needs 8.5 quarts and I fill with 8 quarts, '04 S2000 needs 5.25 quarts and I gave it 5 quarts. E430 and S2000 never needed top-off and LS400 needs 1/2 quarts every 3-4k miles, if it has dino then I just change oil at 6-7k miles without top-off, if I used syn then I top-offed at 3, 6 and 9 k miles into the OCI's.

my friend does that too, it is like carrying around xtra oil in the engine instead of car...cuts down on opening hood...my 5 new domestics have never burned oil and i always keep it right at top of DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back