time for tires "wifes car"

Status
Not open for further replies.
well its time for a update:

we have 31.xxx miles on the General Altimax tires
they are approximately 22 months old.

The good: No real trouble with these tires, there on a my wifes accord and its her daily driver, daycare dropoff, to work car
smile.gif
She is NOT a aggressive driver at all. tires have stayed in balance for the most part and have only had to have one warranty replacement done so far.

The bad, The edges of the tred (the points) are pealing back.. like a tennis shoe thats starting to loose the rubber off the bottom, its not bad, but it is ever so slightly peeling.. i dont like this.. maybee its normall.. These tires in my opinion (especialy in a non aggressive drivers car) are not wearing well in my opinion, Im guessing my wife will reach the wear bars by 40,000 miles.. pretty sure these a 55,000 mile tires..
Of course there's no way there going to stand behind them..

If memory serves i paid over 600.00 for these, Im thinking we probably wont go with these tires again. before long it will be time again to explore more options.

Otis, thanks for the update, I was tempted to get these for my fit but after reading some reviews I decided to wait for Michelins.

In my books, Michelins and BF Goodrich are my top choices, I put on 200k miles on a 2000 accord v6 on michelins xradials all in the snow/ice region. I am sold, tire rubber stays soft and traction is adequate in say -20F.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

The good: No real trouble with these tires, there on a my wifes accord and its her daily driver, daycare dropoff, to work car
smile.gif
She is NOT a aggressive driver at all. tires have stayed in balance for the most part and have only had to have one warranty replacement done so far.

The bad, The edges of the tred (the points) are pealing back.. like a tennis shoe thats starting to loose the rubber off the bottom, its not bad, but it is ever so slightly peeling.. i dont like this.. maybee its normall.. These tires in my opinion (especialy in a non aggressive drivers car) are not wearing well in my opinion, Im guessing my wife will reach the wear bars by 40,000 miles.. pretty sure these a 55,000 mile tires..

If memory serves i paid over 600.00 for these, Im thinking we probably wont go with these tires again. before long it will be time again to explore more options.

And here is Another Update:

With a solid vibration over 55mph the accord pulls hard to the left.. So we took it in, the rebalanced and re-checked the allignment..

No dice.. problem improves but not cured.

Today i drop car at dealer, a hour later i get the phone call that both fronts a [censored] and i need to swap them out, there measing tred depth and im a little over halfway throughthe tires life.. they give me $65 credit per tire to replace them (General pro-rate warranty) after a little head scratching i went ahead and told them to get me two more and after the allowance its going to cost me approximately $185 for two new tires.

I asked if it seemed suspect to them that im now on my 3rd bad tire(s) out of the original four. Them seem to think that i got a set out of a bad batch..

anyways, ive got two new ones coming, and i get $130 off retail so i will deal.

I cant in good faith recomend these tires with all the trouble ive had up to this point. I keep breaking belts and the tread seems to be wearing very fast .. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

smile.gif

Just replace 4 tires on my S2000 at America's Tire, the front are 205/50-17(OEM 215/45-17) and Rear are 235/45-17(OEM 245/40-17) with Kumho Ecsta 4X. The net cost after all rebates(Black Friday instant rebate + Kumho rebate + AT/DT online rebate + AT $25 gift card free from AT/DT) is around $340-$350.

Still have 2 215/45-17 Falken FK-452 with 4-5/32" tread, will try to sell on local Craigslist for around $40-50 both.

Went in today and got both the new front tires put on.. smooth as glass again, i hope it stays this way for awhile. Im not a fan of these tires right now, maybee he was right in thinking i just got a bad batch.. Here is to hoping.

Have 07 I4 Accord. Had the Altimax tires. Were good new,ok after a while and bad toward the end of their 40,000 mile life. They never tracked well and by the end were bad in the rain and snow.

Just put on Goodyear comfa-treads. Track better and are a little noisey. Noise is no big deal and is minor. Until I started reading reviews I never noticed if one set of tires were noisier than another,lol. Just never been an issue with me.

Time will tell on the comfa-treds. They do take bumps a little quieter and are not squishy feeling at all to me. Running 36 psi all around.

Jerry

Originally Posted By: jeremiah2360
Have 07 I4 Accord. Had the Altimax tires. Were good new,ok after a while and bad toward the end of their 40,000 mile life. They never tracked well and by the end were bad in the rain and snow.

Just put on Goodyear comfa-treads. Track better and are a little noisey. Noise is no big deal and is minor. Until I started reading reviews I never noticed if one set of tires were noisier than another,lol. Just never been an issue with me.

Time will tell on the comfa-treds. They do take bumps a little quieter and are not squishy feeling at all to me. Running 36 psi all around.

Jerry

Jerry the placard says 29/31 i think on my 07 Accord, i rust run 33 PSI in all 4 corners and call it a day. What wizzes me off about these tires is they claim 55,000 miles... theres NO WAY we were going to get that out of them, with 33,000 we were probably getting fairly close to 3/4 life used up on the altimaxes.. I wont be buying them again. (unless i get into the game with these tires being warrantied out for issues for years to come) time will tell. I agree these tires were great when new and i had good things to say. But frankly i dont think there good tires for the long haul and they deffinately dont live up to the claimed tread life of 55,000

Update: Im now driving this car and my wife has a new daily driver, and guess what, after 3 trips to the shop they keep rebalancing the tires and sticking stupid amounts of weights on them.. and i still get a vibration over about 55mph.. i think ive got belts that have moved or are simply broken.. dunno for sure. Pretty sure the tire dealer is tired of me complaining about these tires, i know IM tired of going in to get them monkeyed with.. down side now is the tires only get about 400 miles per month.. and two of the 4 are fairly new tires.. looks like unless i plan on replacing just out of being frustrated, these suckers will be on there awhile..

This is not making me feel good about my purchase of the RTs, because I'm still early in the treadlife (around 2k now). Car and tires still handle well, so we will see.

It has given me second thoughts about putting these on my wife's car though...

I think it's time for you to get a set of the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I have installed two sets and they are simply outstanding tires with excellent grip and NVH.

O. K. Here's what to do. You gotta car that wears tires out in 40,000 miles,so get a tire(gyact)that has the longest warranty so you get the largest pro rate.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
This is not making me feel good about my purchase of the RTs, because I'm still early in the treadlife (around 2k now). Car and tires still handle well, so we will see.

It has given me second thoughts about putting these on my wife's car though...

I loved my Altimaxes as first, but with time they get loud, they wear fast (atleast in my app) and after so many times complaining the shop gets tired of warranty and just adds weight.. These tires have had defect after defect and have left a foul taste in my mouth. I will say when new they are great. I wont buy them again, but for someone on a budget that may or may not plan to keep there auto for the next 50,000 miles.. well they are a option.

UPDATE: back to the shop for a vibration and a rotation and balance and guess what ? 2 of the 4 tires on the car are bad again, my allignment is perfect but all four tires are wearing uneven and are rotated perfect. they say "Its one of those weird situations where your car simply doesnt like these tires and no matter how many times we warranty them out there going to keep failing, wearing uneven, and your not going to be happy" so i asked what my options were. They stated "considering all the trouble you have had with these tires we will pro-rate them out for you, all four. and give you the $ credit towards something else that youl have bettter luck with" So they are offering to sell me a set of AVID Ascend's for $340 out the door installed. Im reading good things on those tires and think im going to pull the trigger. General Altimax HP's HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT TROUBLE after about 10,000 on each tire they have developed issues. when this is all done i will have had 5 actual tires that have failed and been warranty replaced/pro-rated since purchase. I cant in good faith tell anyone at this point on BITOG that these tires are a good choice.

With that said, any good words or tips on these AVID Ascends ?

Last edited:
Falkan tires are excellent. Had other brands and they never held up like these. Put them on my BMW, wifes Honda Pilot, Dodge 2500 diesel, Totota Tacoma. Bought them at Discount Tires, but i believe Sears stocks them now.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Just replace 4 tires on my S2000 at America's Tire, the front are 205/50-17(OEM 215/45-17) and Rear are 235/45-17(OEM 245/40-17) with Kumho Ecsta 4X. The net cost after all rebates(Black Friday instant rebate + Kumho rebate + AT/DT online rebate + AT $25 gift card free from AT/DT) is around $340-$350.

Still have 2 215/45-17 Falken FK-452 with 4-5/32" tread, will try to sell on local Craigslist for around $40-50 both.

Sold 2 215/45-17 Falken FK-452 to an Audi owner couple months ago for $40, he was about to sell hos car and it had 2 bald Falken FK-452, he need the same tire so the potential buyer will feel better with all 4 matching tires.

So my final cost of 4 installed Kumno 4X is around $300.

OtisBlkR1,

I agree with AboutTires - this sounds exactly like an alignment problem. You said the alignment was perfect, but didn't explain how you know (I'm not going to nit-pick about the word "perfect".)

Also, you should be aware that once a tire develops irregular wear, it is difficult to eliminate it. Any new wear pattern gets put on top of what is already there - ergo, the wear pattern usually just continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back