PL20195 on Tacoma (Pixs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks river_rat for informing me that the PureONE PL20195 was the long version of the PureONE PL10241 (4.75" vs 3.4"). Local K-Mart was out of the PL10241, but had some PL20195s in stock ... so picked one up last night.

I replaced my Toyota 90915-YZZD3 (Denso - 4.0" long) with the PureONE today based on your talcum powder test results. I was thinking of going with the PureONE after I used the last 2 of my 90915-YZZD3 I had, but that would be 2 years from now. There's a guy at work who has the same truck, so maybe he'll buy the Densos off me since he uses the OEM Toyota filters.

Here's a couple of photos showing it installed. Thing is long, but no problems with the mounting setup on the V6.

The yellow looks kind of cool on the red ... kind has that Ferrari color scheme.
lol.gif
19.gif

PureONEPL20195onTacoma2.jpg

PureONEPL20195onTacoma.jpg

Did you encounter the 4.0 trademark pinging noise from using the larger filter? My truck only likes Mobil 1 or Denso. Anything else and it gets angry.

I'm glad that Toyota finally decided to put the filter in a place where it is easily accessed. I have an 01 3.4L, and trying to get to it is a pita. You wouldn't think on truck it would be but it is.

You might be the first person I've seen say the color looks kind of cool. No matter the color though, it's a lot of filter for the money.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Is it touching the plastic engine cover?

No ... not even close to touching. Photo gives an optical illusion. The photo from farther back helps show that top of the filter is below the cover. The cover has a notch in it so you can get the filter off/on to the mount with a "straight shot".

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Did you encounter the 4.0 trademark pinging noise from using the larger filter? My truck only likes Mobil 1 or Denso. Anything else and it gets angry.

Not sure what the "4.0 trademark pinging noise" is? Why would a different oil filter cause pinging noise? Can you elaborate?

The only engine noise issues I recall from the Tacoma chat boards was the exhaust manifold "pinging" noise issue which was cured by Toyota coming out with different exhaust manifold design. My truck never had that issue.

My engine has been quiet from the day I bought it new, and sounds no different with the PureONE on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I am surprised you weren't already using a PureOne.

Same here!

After getting into BITOG and learning more about filters I decided to switch to PureONEs after seeing flow and filtering performance date. The Toyota OEM Denso is a decent filter, but there are better ones out there ... PureONE just being one of them.

Forgot to mention, my truck is not sensitive to dry starts that cause engine noises. As you can see from the photos, this filter is mounted base down, so there is zero way to fill the filter before installing. As a result, every time I do an oil change, the engine gets started with a bone dry oil filter in place.

It takes 2~3 sec max to see the oil pressure light go off, and there is no hint of any engine noise during the initial start up after a filter change.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
Nice! You might actually have the clearance for the PL30001 if you want to try something even larger.
grin2.gif

It might just fit!

Off topic question, but I have never seen a filter on the top of the engine. How do you get the oil out of the thing?

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Off topic question, but I have never seen a filter on the top of the engine. How do you get the oil out of the thing?

Looks like the oil is caught by the funnel shaped cover that sits at the base of the filter.

Yes There is a drain nipple on the funnel part of the filter mount, IIRC. You can put a piece of tubing on it nd drain into a pan before you pull the filter all the way off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, 'Busa.

yeah I was thinking if the 20195(motorcraft fl400s) fits, so will the PL3001(motorcraft FL1A) or the K&N HP3001

it is a massive filter compared to the FL400s.......... I have put it to use on the SHO in place of the 400s......

if I'm not mistaken, I think the K&N is the only filter with a silicone drainback valve on the FL1A/3001 application.........

the pureone might have one, but for some reason I thought it didn't

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built

Looks like the oil is caught by the funnel shaped cover that sits at the base of the filter.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Yes There is a drain nipple on the funnel part of the filter mount, IIRC. You can put a piece of tubing on it nd drain into a pan before you pull the filter all the way off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, 'Busa.

Yes, you guys are right that there is a "funnel" under the filter mount with a nipple on it for a drain hose.

BUT ... there is a little "trick" that works even better. I learned this trick back when I had my first RX-7 which also has the filter mounted base down. Once you remove a filter in this orientation and you have oil puke all over the place you look for a cleaner way to remove it.
grin2.gif

All you have to do is take a sharp punch and poke a hole in the top dome of the filter - this allows the vacuum to be broken inside the filter and allows the oil to drain out through the center core. It's like putting your finger over the end of a straw with it's in a glass and pulling the straw out ... the water remains inside the straw, until you remove your finger off the end of the straw.

I do the hole in the dome trick when the oil is hot and let it drain over night. Next morning the filter can be removed without one oil drop.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
yeah I was thinking if the 20195(motorcraft fl400s) fits, so will the PL3001(motorcraft FL1A) or the K&N HP3001

it is a massive filter compared to the FL400s.......... I have put it to use on the SHO in place of the 400s......

Yes, the Motorcraft FL-400 (equivalent to the L & PL 20195) would also work on the Tacomas. If the PL3001 and FL-1A are just longer they would probably work too. You could probably use a filter 6.5 to 7" long - I just went in the garage to look and there is nothing but free space above the filter. The PL20195 is 4.75" long, and there's a good 2" space available above the filter. Going with a filter that long might be a little "excessive" ... I think the PL20195 seems plenty long.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
if I'm not mistaken, I think the K&N is the only filter with a silicone drainback valve on the FL1A/3001 application.........

the pureone might have one, but for some reason I thought it didn't

All PureONEs have the red, silicon ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back