AMSOIL AFL, 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running 10K OCIs with AFL since I bought the car new. I've recently started tracking the car, so I thought I'd see what the oil looked like after an event. This was taken with approximately 500 miles on the oil, including a HPDE weekend with eight 20-minute sessions on the track.

I've got another event coming up on 8/1. Thoughts on whether I should change the oil before or after that event?

GONK-90500.jpg

Are you running a K&N air filter or something like it?

I don't think I would change this oil. I'd wait until after the next event.

Yeah, I am running a K&N cone filter on a CAI. On my list of things to do this morning is inspect it, service it if needed, and measure it to see if there is an AMSOIL equivalent.

I did mention the track time to Blackstone. I did think it was interesting that their response didn't acknowledge it.

Your high incidence of higher CFM states surely contributes, but I had fair silicon numbers out of a K&N until I reached a number of cleanings. I never let it go to the recommended limits. Mine was part of a intake tube setup from Turbo City. I just used it to reclaim the space of the air box for a dual filter setup. It was a cylindrical filter and exposed to all the road dust and dirt that came by it whether it was sucking it in or not. It just looked way too dirty to leave alone. I just think the gauze wears out after a while. Again, it rarely saw the whopping 200 CFM that I may have achieved on an on ramp.

For 500 miles, even track miles, wear is atrocious!

Air filter is basically letting air into the engine un-filtered. Good luck getting a long life out of that engine!

Quote:
Good luck getting a long life out of that engine!

I think he'll get a long life out of it. Maybe not in the best of health ..but a long life.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For 500 miles, even track miles, wear is atrocious!

Air filter is basically letting air into the engine un-filtered. Good luck getting a long life out of that engine!

Well, obviously I agree there is room for concern, but we're only looking at one measurement. I think I'll hold off judgment until a few more have been taken.

robert

It's unlikely that you will sustain this level of abuse for enough time to damage the engine. TallPaul sucked in construction debris through a torn PCV hose and had Pb and every other element in the hundreds of ppm. The readings retreated as soon as he fixed the hose and is living the life of a happy RV'ing camper.

So, when you get around to getting rid of the K&N (consider one air filter for normal use and save the racing filter for racing) there's no reason to think that the aggravated markers won't retreat.

So you get 280k instead of 327,002 miles out of it
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back