MaxLife 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found the illustrious ML 5w20 synth blend in Wal Mart today, and picked up a jug. $20 CDN for 5L, not too bad considering GTX was the same price at CT! One thing that strikes me though, is that even for a 5w20, it doesnt bear the "Energy Conserving" stamp in the API donut. Does this have to do with the base oil, cold temp. properties or is EC a spec that needs to be 'applied for'. It is apparently 50.2cSt@40 and 8.7cSt@100

I'm also thinking of running a quart of RedLine Racing 0w10 to the rest ML 5w20 in a 97 2.2L Camry. The Camry has run 5w20s and even straight SAE20 to date with no problem so how would ML 5w20 do thinned with a qt of 5.2cSt@100 ester oil? The GE calculator shows a 7.7cSt result at a 75% / 25% mix. Might lose some Ca but does anyone see any issues with it?

I am running ML 5W20 in my 1994 Accord. I am currently 6000km into the OCI and I am very impressed so far. I have not added any oil and I am down less than 1/2 litre. Also, the best I have ever gotten with this car is 35 mpg (imperial gallons, highway trips).

Running the maxlife, I have gotten 35 mpg on the last 4 tanks of gas, right through fairly severe winter conditions with 60% hwy, 40% city driving. Doesn't seem possible, but I have gotten very good results multiple tanks in a row.

not bad in a '94 no less. Have you ever ran 5w20 in there before? Was there consumption before that the ML helped? See, the Camry gets terrible mileage, like an avg. of 410KM's per 65L tank! Even after new O2 sensor, tuneup and all, it hasnt gotten better, which is why I'm pushing the 20wts on it. Seems like you're getting excellent mileage out of your F22 Accord, I really wish the 'yota was like that.
frown.gif

This is my first run of 5W20. I always used 5W30 dino until I found this site. I think the 5W20 is helping to improve winter gas milage. I have been getting about 680 km out of a 55L fill. This is with some hwy trips combine with city driving. I may try 0W20 next winter.

I'm not super worried about wearing out the engine since I have seen many good UOA's of dino 5W30 that has sheared down to 5W20 in similar Honda engines.

I am also running 40 psi in the tires.

This car has never used much oil but I think the maxlife is slightly better than what I am used to.

Last edited:
I just was at Walmart today and because of this tread walked over to the oil aisle. They had Maxlife 5w20 in the 5 qt jug for $17.20. It was a buck or so more expensive than the 5w30, so I wonder if there are more expensive ingredients in the Max 5w20? I don't run 5w20 but now you have me curious.

5W20 is made from a slightly different base stock than the 5W30 is. It can be for lack of a better defination almost called a synthetic blend.

Let me re-phrase since I'm not a Valvoline fan/user, and not 100% familiar with their product line. The base stock and additives that make-up 5W20 oil is more costly than the 5W30. This info is from the Pennzoil people, and hopefully applies to Valvoline.

Well it probably does apply across the board. I got to thinking that maybe what you wanted to say was that the 5w20 is pretty close to a full synthetic, which may be the case.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Well it probably does apply across the board. I got to thinking that maybe what you wanted to say was that the 5w20 is pretty close to a full synthetic, which may be the case.

That's probably right. I'm thinking it's mostly PAO & didn't want to say anything before for a couple of reasons but the ML 5w20 smells almost indistinguishable from XD-3 PAO 0w40. Probably have similar formulations.

So...the question is...is there anything "special" about this oil? I like Valv oils, but wondered if the 5w20 was really "better" than other ML oils?

How thick is it out of the bottle? The reason that High Mileage oils dont have the "energy conserving" donut is that typically they run a little thick for the weight, and "energy conserving" oils run a little thinner for the weight.

Max Life 10w30 is pretty thick, from what I understand, for a 30 weight.
I wonder if the 5w20 is the same way.

It will be interesting to see the UOA's on the ML 5w20. Sure it is a synthetic blend, almost a Full Synthetic with what they do to SM rated 5w20 oils, but since it dosent have the donut does it have a more robust add pack than a Full synthetic?

This may be the best high mileage oil yet... hmm... time to whittle down my stockpile of 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back