Fram Extended Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
MADMIKE, The ExtendedGuard SPE is rated the same as their baseline Extra Guard. I like the media for holding capacity but the filtration is ~average (aka as good as 'the' leading filter brand which IS FRAM). Construction appears to notch as you say.

So SteveC...this would not be a good substitute for EaO if fine filtration is your goal. If FRAM spec'd it to the same MPE as their ToughGuard it would be competitive with EaO, I believe. If so, I would likely buy it at $7-8.

I think FRAM's concern is liability of fine filtering while trying to extend OCI. 10um filters grab lots more 'stuff' and they sell to mass market. I don't think EaO or RP filters are mass market so they expect more user diligence and corresponding less liability.

If it offered the same filtration efficiency and flow as the EAO I'm using now I would switch... Sure...
grin2.gif

This is a great deal on a filter. The Fram EG's are the full synthetic one, and are solidly built.

Speaking of 'older' filters, I'm in a similar situation with my car. Years ago, Canadian Tire used to sell re-badged Fram Toughguard filters as CT 'Formula 1' filters. I don't know exactly when they stopped doing this, but about 2 years ago, they had some of these on clearance. I got one, only one I could find, for $1.25. I actually have it on my car tright now, but I have no idea how old it actually is...

There is no doubt that the basic line of Fram filters are OK, my dad has a caravan with over 300,000KM (180,000 Miles) using the cheapest oil and FRAM filters and it runs fine and doesn't consume oil... It's just us BITOG guys that are anal and want the absolute best!!!!!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This is a great deal on a filter. The Fram EG's are the full synthetic one, and are solidly built.

Speaking of 'older' filters, I'm in a similar situation with my car. Years ago, Canadian Tire used to sell re-badged Fram Toughguard filters as CT 'Formula 1' filters. I don't know exactly when they stopped doing this, but about 2 years ago, they had some of these on clearance. I got one, only one I could find, for $1.25. I actually have it on my car tright now, but I have no idea how old it actually is...

They are a blend, not fully synthetic.

Okay I went home this weekend and got around to opening up the filter I took off of the Maxima. It's a 7317 which fits several imports including Honda, Nissan, Subaru, maybe Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. I do not know how many miles are on the filter. All the large dirt particles, grass, and damage was done by me taking it apart. It definitely looks like something I would use if it was priced
121_0255.jpg

121_0254.jpg

121_0245.jpg

121_0246.jpg

121_0247.jpg

121_0248.jpg

121_0249.jpg

121_0250.jpg

121_0251.jpg

121_0252.jpg

121_0253.jpg

Those are a darn solid filter. The can also is very, very clean, so I'd guess this engine was fairly well maintained w/ a recent oil change...

I'd use them, but at $12 a shot, not nearly worth it for me on a 2002 Cavalier w/120k miles. I'm quite happy with regular old orange cans......

Yeah I have a feeling this car was taken care of by the last owner or two. I did drain and fills to replace the coolant and the stuff that came out looked pretty fresh. Not to mention whoever owned it last was willing to drop $7-8 for an oil filter so he/she cared enough.

I have this exact filter on my 2003 Honda CRV which I will remove after 5,000 miles. I have used them before with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back