So I inquired Valvoline on some thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked them the differences in Valvoline and Napa oils and the base oils in them and Synpower and I got this back.

Quote:
These two products (Valvoline & Napa) are indeed produced by Ashland, but are not the exact same in formulation. The base oils are the same for each (Group II for conventional & mixture of Group III, IV, and V for synthetic), but the additive package is a higher quality in the Valvoline branded formula, simply due to the testing requirements the Valvoline oils have to meet, for more strenuous applications such as European vehicles. The two products are very high in quality, including the Napa branded, but we do formulate the Valvoline oils a little better for specified use, which has in turn gave us our top of the line name.

I like Synpower more now.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice response from Valvoline.

Its refreshing to get honest, meaningful answers from a oil company and not the runaround that most do. Other companies take note.

Originally Posted By: cven

Its refreshing to get honest, meaningful answers from a oil company and not the runaround that most do. Other companies take note.

This is exactly why I like Valvoline and Pennzoil. They both are by far the most forthcoming with product data. They also have the best product data sheets. Well, Amsoil should also be included in this group.

Last edited:
What specs does SynPower meet that Napa Synthetic doesn't meet? It sounds like the SynPower stuff is formulated to meet more standards.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

This is exactly why I like Valvoline and Pennzoil. They both are by far the most forthcoming with product data. They also have the best product data sheets. Well, Amsoil should also be included in this group.

I think the best product data sheets come from Schaeffer's.

I'd have to agree with Johnny. Schaeffer's does have a very detailed PDS.

Yes, kudos to the Valvoline Tech Line...

I've bugged them once or twice about HTO-06 certification on SynPower. They have always been very courteous and responsive. (Especially considering the type of questions they must get on a daily basis.)

Originally Posted By: Scott P
What specs does SynPower meet that Napa Synthetic doesn't meet? It sounds like the SynPower stuff is formulated to meet more standards.

European ACEA specs A1 and A5.

Thanks sparkplug! I was going to call Valvoline today regarding my post a couple days ago, but you beat me to it.
10.gif

I bought 18 qts of the NAPA yesterday, and I'm going to go back for more. For my 02 5.3L, the NAPA should more than exceed my requirements.(5k OCI)
thumbsup2.gif

That's the main reason I would use Valvoline Synpower or Pennzoil Platinum before the new (and overpriced) Castrol Edge. The other reason is Castrol cutely calling GR. III synthetic to unknowing customers at that time. IMO that was sneaky.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I think the best product data sheets come from Schaeffer's.

I used to agree with this statement, but no longer.
I feel there are now many details that are not accurate from Schaeffer's.
Check API cert listings. Check licensing certs. Check vendor certifications.

Just MHO.

Originally Posted By: arh
Thanks sparkplug! I was going to call Valvoline today regarding my post a couple days ago, but you beat me to it.
10.gif

I bought 18 qts of the NAPA yesterday, and I'm going to go back for more. For my 02 5.3L, the NAPA should more than exceed my requirements.(5k OCI)
thumbsup2.gif

Haha no problem! I've heard for a while NAPA and Valvoline were very similar but I never heard it for myself. I went and picked up 6 quarts today for $21 and some change. I think I might clean them out of 5/10w30.

I'm now planning to partake in the $3.29/quart for Napa synthetic party. I'll run it to 0% on the OLM in my mom's Impala with no reservations at all.

Sounds like the NAPA oil is just fine and if you are going to add a zddp booster, then the NAPA would be the better choice as it would stand to benefit more from the zddp boost.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I asked them the differences in Valvoline and Napa oils and the base oils in them and Synpower and I got this back.

Quote:
These two products (Valvoline & Napa) are indeed produced by Ashland, but are not the exact same in formulation. The base oils are the same for each (Group II for conventional & mixture of Group III, IV, and V for synthetic), but the additive package is a higher quality in the Valvoline branded formula, simply due to the testing requirements the Valvoline oils have to meet, for more strenuous applications such as European vehicles. The two products are very high in quality, including the Napa branded, but we do formulate the Valvoline oils a little better for specified use, which has in turn gave us our top of the line name.

I like Synpower more now.
thumbsup2.gif

Wow! For years now I have wondered the exact same question. Now hear is the answer. I kinda knew this is what the answer would be. Thing is if you don't have a vehicle that requires a certain spec met by the Synpower then you would be fine with the Napa brand.

Originally Posted By: arh
10.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm. Mine too. Five qts. of 5W-30 plus a Napa Gold filter comes out to about $50 for a year (2 5K changes). In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Woo-hoo!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back