there is room for the state

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28557738
Quote:
Merkel said the International Monetary Fund has not managed to regulate global capitalism, and she called for the creation of an economy body at the United Nations, similar to the Security Council, to judge government policy.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy, leading the two-day conference with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, blamed financial speculators for encouraging a system fueled on debt.

He called financial capitalism based on speculation "an immoral system" that has "perverted the logic of capitalism."

"It's a system where wealth goes to the wealthy, where work is devalued, where production is devalued, where entrepreneurial spirit is devalued," he said. But no more: "In capitalism of the 21st century, there is room for the state," he said.

Governments around the world have had to step in to rescue credit-starved banks and financial institutions from collapse. They are also pumping billions of euros into their economies to encourage growth.

Measures will be taken by global leaders meeting in London on April 2, Sarkozy promised, urging the U.S. to join the international consensus. Blair called for a new financial order based on "values other than the maximum short-term profit."

The death of Capitalism and freedom is near.

This is REALLY scary stuff going on.

This makes the bailouts look like childs play.

Quote:
The leaders' 11-page statement spoke of broad principles, leaving the details to be worked out by lower-level aides before another summit meeting in April, after Barack Obama assumes the presidency. But the gathering in Washington of the nearly two dozen nations -- from every region of the world -- reflected the new balance of power emerging in the aftermath of a financial crisis that has devastated even well-run economies, a wrenching process that British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has dubbed "the birth pangs of this new global order."

Under the plans outlined by the leaders, countries such as China, Brazil and India would gain greater roles and responsibilities as part of a restructuring of the international financial system, while European leaders won a commitment to new regulations and controls on banks, rating agencies and exotic financial securities. The leaders also agreed that a dramatic failure of market oversight in "some advanced countries" was among the root causes of the financial crisis, an implicit rebuke of the United States.

Quote:
"We are determined to enhance our cooperation and work together to restore global growth and achieve needed reforms in the world's financial systems," the leaders declared in their communique.

The leaders agreed to set up a new regulatory body, "a college of supervisors," to examine the books of major financial institutions that operate across national borders, so regulators could begin to have a more complete picture of banks' operations. They demanded greater scrutiny of hedge funds and the completion of a clearinghouse system to help standardize and limit risk on some of the opaque and exotic financial derivatives that helped bring down Wall Street's investment banks.

Leaders also agreed to submit their countries' financial systems to regular, vigorous reviews by the International Monetary Fund -- assessments that some countries, including the United States, had long resisted. And they urged new constraints on the pay schemes at financial firms that "reward excessive short-term returns or risk-taking."

Mr. Sarkozy was especially pleased by the mention of executive compensation, though the communique noted that action could be voluntary or regulatory in nature. "Have you ever seen in the Anglo-Saxon world even discussion to have rating agencies downgrade the banks where executive compensation has [encouraged] them to take too much risk? I have never seen it," he said.

Quote:
Sources said other leaders, including Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, spoke out against Mr. Sarkozy's calls for broad global regulation, arguing that even in progressive Canada, the idea would be seen as violating national sovereignty.

"Here you had everyone at the table trying to come together, and Sarkozy was out there trying to write the world according to Sarkozy," said a senior diplomat present at the summit. "It was not helpful."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08321/928422-82.stm

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Yes. Enter the shroud of corporate Fascism.

Quote:

Be prepared for the League of Distinguish Gentlemen to be dictating your future. They may call themselves the Central Committee depending on their chapter.

Quote:

I suppose that the low life's of the USA conjured up this whole thing, right?

Man I wish you had kicked them to the curb and eviscerated them much earlier. Then this whole thing never could have happened.

You failed us, Tempest. A whole globe dominated by crack smoking ..baby producing ..welfare sucking ...useless eaters.

They did this to paradise.

Living proof that the power is in the proles

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Yes. Enter the shroud of corporate Fascism.

Hasn't that been with us for the last 2 decades and what's sent us spiraling down the economic toilet??? The flight to the bottom in terms of cost - the economy as a whole be [censored]. The end result being nothing but consumption and services domestically, as means of facilitating that can be done abroad.

If anyone thinks we've been living in a purely free, capitalist system for the last half century, you're smoking more then I ever did. We live in a plutocracy run by corporate elites that purchased the state a long long time ago...

Last edited:
Well, if you buy that, then the next really BIG assault in you will be the legions of senior citizens. They will cripple you and lay you to waste ..and make the static minority useless eaters look like amateurs in comparison. They were probably the hardest working Americans in the post WWII era.

Your parents will be (or were) among them.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Study up on the new world order.

Ahhhh!
I am freaking out... Darn you illuminati!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, if you buy that, then the next really BIG assault in you will be the legions of senior citizens. They will cripple you and lay you to waste ..and make the static minority useless eaters look like amateurs in comparison. They were probably the hardest working Americans in the post WWII era.

Your parents will be (or were) among them.

Yup.

It's already started...

Quote:
We live in a plutocracy run by corporate elites that purchased the state a long long time ago...

Interesting considering that there is no mention of corporations anywhere in these articles. All I see are heads of state trying to set up a global government.

You have to love conspiracy theorist with absolutely nothing to back up their claims.

All I see are heads of state trying to set up a global government.

You have to love conspiracy theorist with absolutely nothing to back up their claims.

You don't think it has anything to do with keeping their own economies from being wiped out by our foolish actions? I don't see it as being about world power for the sake of power. Just who is the conspiracy theorist?

While I don't argue our actions have been foolish, to claim that we are the only foolish party at the dance is naive.

Many participated right along with us, lending more and doing whatever they did to get into the dance with us. Or they are doing the very same things we did/do or both.

I do believe there are those attracted to power, and those who could not give a fig about power in the political sense.

So it's not a nationality, but a personality type that seeks more and more power. That is not a uniquely American trait.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

All I see are heads of state trying to set up a global government.

You don't think it has anything to do with keeping their own economies from being wiped out by our foolish actions? I don't see it as being about world power for the sake of power. Just who is the conspiracy theorist?

"Our" actions? Or our government's action? Our government's policies are at fault for the current situation and they want to solve the problem with even more layers of government by setting up an international governing body (that the people of said countries won't be able to vote for)? That is what is in the articles. It is not theory.

The people at these meetings know the real failure method, but they are more than willing to use the fallout to bolster their scope of power.
After all: You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.

I actually agree with much of your last post. But you, I, and Drew are interpreting the article through a sense of context born from our experiences, which are real to us. Reading what is presented to the public and theorizing what is behind it does not automatically make you a conspiracy theorist. There is perhaps a thin line between a conspiracy theorist and a systems thinker. The line is probably defined on the basis of how much of your theory is reasonable, fact based conjecture, versus what is wild speculation and paranoia. Naturally, that is almost impossible to nail down definitively.

And I will also admit that being paranoid doesn't make you wrong.

Read it and weep, Tempest
LOL.gif
You're getting stuck with unfairness administered on behalf of those you want to kick to the curb. They're doing to you ..exactly what you want to do to them ..kicking you out of your home ..emptying your wallet ..and they're doing it via proxy. They're the superior intellect ..and they're flourishing ..and you're not thriving.

You're losing ..but then again ....sometimes life is unfair. This time, it's you
55.gif

You have my sympathy ....no wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back