Toyota Corolla Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Grandma and I rented a 08 Toyota Corolla (4-cyl) this past weekend for a trip to see the new grandchild.

Average gas mileage for the 850 mile trip was about 35 mpg at 99% highway speeds (75 mph). The tranny was the automatic version, three spped I think.

Interestingly, the OIL filler cap stated they are using 5W30, and it never used a drop.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they're all 4 speed autos now. May have lacked a "3" between "D" and "2" on the shifter.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pretty sure they're all 4 speed autos now. May have lacked a "3" between "D" and "2" on the shifter.

Yeah its 4 speed, the shifter is arranged in D-2-L. If you wanted 3 you press the o/d (overdrive) off switch on the shifter. My dads 92 Camry has the same arrangement as well.

That good gas mileage at 75mph. If you drove at 65mph maybe you could get even better gas mileage.

there all 4 speed automatics now , possibly you had it in 3rd gear and not in overdrive for the entire or most of the trip ? It's easy enough to do , done it a few times myself , especially the newer TOYOS where you slide the shifting lever side to side for 3rd or overdrive ( electrical contact for trannies computer , don't care for it at times ) , happened with our '08 YARIS sedan and a few that we test drove :- ) .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
That's it from a Corolla? Surprised it wouldn't push 40.

At 75 mph? Given the drag at that speed, I think his result was pretty good.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
there all 4 speed automatics now , possibly you had it in 3rd gear and not in overdrive for the entire or most of the trip ? It's easy enough to do , done it a few times myself , especially the newer TOYOS where you slide the shifting lever side to side for 3rd or overdrive ( electrical contact for trannies computer , don't care for it at times ) , happened with our '08 YARIS sedan and a few that we test drove :- ) .

yes we had the same problem with my parents visiting and having a camry rental - they drove 400 km with O/d off at highway speeds. Made only 9.5 L/ 100km, with the O'd switched on on the way back after I questioned the mileage (I have the same engine but older model) they got 8.5 L/100km...

It had about 24,400 miles on it and and the engine still felt tight although it reved-up very well and quickly. Response was remarkable for a small 4-cylinder.
25.gif

At 75 mph the tack showed 2600 rpm, so I assumed it was in high gear, which is what our Pathfinder shows at approx. the same speed. Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the shift quadrant.
09.gif

The only thing I could say was an issue was the driver's side road noise seemed excessive, but that may have been due to a poorly fitting driver's door, although the door seemed ok. But then rentals always seem to be the ones off the production line that weeeern't quite up to par.
shocked2.gif

The Audio system was very powerful and the radios were very sensitive, since I like to listen to classic rock and news on the AM's. The AM audio quality was very close to FM:!

Seats, head room and clearance were great for a 6'3" person like me. Overall, I would say
happy2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sciphi
That's it from a Corolla? Surprised it wouldn't push 40.

At 75 mph? Given the drag at that speed, I think his result was pretty good.

I had one for a shorter trip. It didnt do much better at 65-70 MPH.

A friend who owns a matrix seems to find that you have to do
Besides feeling very cheap beyond my liking, I agree with Mola's comments. 1st gear does seem to be set up so that it has good off the line pep. I find it obnoxious in AT form, as too small a throttle input yields too much of a jump. An MT would fix that issue.

JMH

Last edited:
When I drove my friend's 06 Corolla, I noticed a few things that I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned.

The steering was very light and was uncommunicative. The engine sounded rough and unrefined when revved to higher RPMs. Also, the transmission shifted rather clunky.

Because of those things, especially the light and overboosted steering, I cannot stand driving one of these cars. I just don't understand why they sell so well.

I also rented one on a shorter trip and my overall impression was the cheaper feel of the car, mainly the plastics. But really the corolla has always been this way to some extent it just seems a lot less solid and cheaper than the old corollas to me.

I would put it above the kio rio as far as comparable rentals and light years above the honda civic hybrid (not directly comparable) but I mention that hybrid every chance I get because that is one of the worst and most annoying cars I have ever driven. Every car feels good after renting that piece of c.r.a.p

Last edited:
Not sure if the Euro Corolla is a different animal or not... my sister has an '05 model. I drove it a few times. I thought the interior is pretty good, the plastics were nice, soft to the touch, good quality. Pretty solidly put together. The only thing I would change would be the engine - it has a 1.4-liter 97hp engine. I'm used to something more substantial :) but for getting around town, it's sufficient.

Quote:
The steering was very light and was uncommunicative. The engine sounded rough and unrefined when revved to higher RPMs. Also, the transmission shifted rather clunky.

In the case of this Corolla, the steering was very tight, responsive, and more sporty than other comparable vehicles I have driven. The suspension was tight and did well in tight turns and quick maneuvers.

The engine was very responsive, throaty and smooth.

Also, this AT shifted smoothly but positive; no mush and no shift delay.

I would defininately rent this one again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
When I drove my friend's 06 Corolla, I noticed a few things that I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned.

Because of those things, especially the light and overboosted steering, I cannot stand driving one of these cars. I just don't understand why they sell so well.

One word: RELIABILITY

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The Critic being very critical. It's all in the name
grin2.gif

Maybe drive an American made small car,then drive the corolla again?
lol
The corolla is basic transportation at it's finest.
The fuel savings and reliability practically pays for the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Maybe drive an American made small car,then drive the corolla again?
lol
The corolla is basic transportation at it's finest.
The fuel savings and POSSIBLE reliability practically pays for the car.

I fixed that for you. My Yaris has been in the shop twice already, and I haven't even hit 10k km's yet.

And on the light steering, my Yaris has it as well, nice for the city, not so great for the highway. Basic electric power steering.

Quote:
Not sure if the Euro Corolla is a different animal or not... my sister has an '05 model

I remember you posted a picture of it once, that Corolla looked more like a VW than a Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back