Okay boyz! Here's what we saw today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay ..I began to wonder if I was going to see any results at all. The worst thing, for me, would be to have nothing to report.

Anyway, after just getting a brief 5psid reading with a 4/2 20w-50/5w-20 blend ..I began to think that my filter was ruptured/breached. Since I have a perpetual oil change (another signiture Gary Allan/Rube Goldberg installation - more later) ..I had cause to top up with 4 quarts of PZ LL 15w-40. The temps were still subfreezing this morning ..as they were yesterday.

-

I took off the small filter and replaced it with a 9k old filter that was sent to me by Ugly3 about 9 months ago. Here's what I got at the first start of the day. The temp was @ 28F with an overnight low of 22F locally. This was with revving the engine fairly high.

-

About 30 sec later (at idle)

-

after about a minute

-

At 60 mph after my 3/4 mile distance to the four lane.

-

The PSID doesn't react in a linear manner. It reaches a peak ..and decays from there.

Ugly3: You could have drained that filter a few more hours before stuffing it in the plastic bag(s).
grin.gif

I want to add that I did see some elevation in PSID from a standing start to speed. This was at about 140F oil temp. The only way to describe it was "surge" ..since I could not sustain it even with leaving the van in low gear. The most I could get out of it at about 40 mph in 1st gear was around 3-4 PSID.

For all practical purposes ..I've got to say that the bypass valve is only to protect the media during start up ..and that it does it very well over a very long duration.

Those are the primary observations at this time anyway
dunno.gif

Your comments, as always, are welcome.

[ March 04, 2006, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

quote:

I took off the small filter and replaced it with a 9k old filter that was sent to me by Ugly3 about 9 months ago.

Just out of curiosity, what size, brand, what style of bypass, and most importantly IMHO what rated bypass setting? I'm assuming 8-11psi rated bypass for the filter in the test given your data.

quote:

This was with revving the engine fairly high.

How many RPMs? It looks like even at idle (30 seconds out) it "probably" was still in bypass if the bypass opened at 8psi...if it is stubborn and opens at 11psi...who knows?

Excellent test. Could you try a brand new filter of the GM variety that has no bypass in it to see what would happen? Too risky? I would hate to have the engine blow up!!
gr_eek2.gif
I wish I were dang rich 'cause I'd run crazy tests like that (running an engine with no bypass valve), just to get real world data.

Gary,

Do you want some more used filters to test? I've got the following used filters that you're welcome to:

Mobil 1 M1-205
Mobil 1 M1-301
Motorcraft FL820S
Purolator PP (from a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3)
Purolator P1 #20252

If you'll pay for shipping, they're yours. I'm thinking media mail rates would be cheap, & you would have them in a week to ten days.

SW - the small filter was the PL10241 ..or the PH3614 size in the 3/4-16 thread. The bypass is, according to Purolator, 12-15 PSID. It never came close. I don't have a tach ..but I should have easily reached 3,000 rpm.

I do have plans to use a Wix filter in the 3/4-16 thread that has no bypass valve.

Keep in mind that this filter, PL20081 (PH16 size), is bigger then the one I took off. It is also 9k old.

wayne: How could you let go of such valued items for mere shipping (yes, wayne there is the BIGGEST smile on my face
grin.gif
) I'd surely like to see the M1's. Although I do have a chevy mount, I don't think I still have the piece for the filter adapter that I use to tap senders into on the empty filter mount.

If you don't mind hanging on to them for a bit ..I'd like to square away a few loose ends first. I truly have a backlog of used filters.
shocked.gif

But sure, I'll pick up the shipping tab.
smile.gif

427Z06 - thank you, pal
cheers.gif

For those who don't know, 427Z06 has been my "Peer Review Committee" in the background.. so that I don't get too "fuzzy" on the data. He plugs holes and closes doors.
cool.gif

[ March 04, 2006, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

You're awesome Gary!
cheers.gif
What does the wife and kids think of all this?

Do you think that perhaps the oil pump relief valve is opening and relieving enough pressure that the oil filter bypass PSID will never even get close enough for the bypass valve to open or make a difference?

Can you give us the skinny on the perpetual oil change?
confused.gif
Did you add some type of contraption so that it constantly mixes in new oil and takes out old oil?
lol.gif
That would be the gadget for all car/oil nuts.

Thanks for posting all this info Gary! Yes, do tell about your perpetual oil change! Enquiring minds want to know!
smile.gif
(And more importantly to give it a try!)

quote:

What does the wife and kids think of all this?

Oh ..they're thrilled beyond belief. They just
rolleyes.gif
and say .."That's nice dad/fatso-you narsasitic-slug"
grin.gif

quote:

Do you think that perhaps the oil pump relief valve is opening and relieving enough pressure that the oil filter bypass PSID will never even get close enough for the bypass valve to open or make a difference?

Last winter, the only time that I truly saw near bypass differentials was when the relief was open. You kinda change the circuit a bit when it goes parallel. There the flow is variable ..so the resistance can be variable. I think (that is "reasoned") that when the pump is in relief, and you see high PSID readings, that no bypass flow occurs ..since the pump is in relief because the engine cannot accept the flow at that viscosity.

I think it falls along the same differences between True Power, Apparent Power, and VAR in reactive circuits (if you can adapt the abstract thought process
freak2.gif
= not directly applicable)

quote:

Can you give us the skinny on the perpetual oil change?

Okay ..this was a device that I always favored. It was developed by Grumpy Jenkins in the mid 70's and later adopted by GM for crankcase evacuation. Instead of taxing the vacuum and fouling the intake ..you tax the exhaust (venturi draft). My Mitsu 3.0 has a metered orifice. Not a whole lot of flow to evacuate the crancase. Excess blowby was sent to the air box to the outside of the air filter element through a rigid foam cube that butted up against the paper element. If too much oil got pushed ..it had a drain tube to the ground
shocked.gif

I did not have excessive "excessive" blow by and the systme managed it quite well. When I developed a head gasket leak ...the metered orifice, even with excellent oil temps of long enough duration, would not clean up the interior of the engine (the leak was fixed). So I, in Rube Goldberg fashion, decided to alter the plumbing.

-

I attached the other end of the hose directly to the valve cover outlet on the rear bank of the engine. It performed perfectly. The milkshake literally evaporated and all blowby emissions are scrubbed from the engine.

The unfortunate side effect is that the over head cam slings too much oil and the flow is too high. It sucks oil into the exhaust. This is installed post cat. Anyway, I suck about 1 quart per 100 miles. No smoke ..but if it's raining ..the vapor that condenses and drips from the tail pipe leaves a rainbow
frown.gif

I'll be choking it down to 3/8" ..or I may install a fancy baffle that will drain back to the engine upon shutdown. Just a larger plenum for it to drop all the oil out of the flow.

I imagine that my muffler will be good for a few more years.

..for the environmentally conscious.....

Let me add that I still have to pass my enhanced emissions test with this setup. It's a dyno sniffer test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back