Fixing computers remotely over the 'net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Various free VLC solutions work for me. If remote 'puter is on a router it has to be plugged directly into the cable modem so the ports are all there and open.

It is cool for the victim to see me moving their mouse around & doing stuff.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I use LogMeIn quite extensively. Fantastic product, but it's not cheap.

They have a free version that works well, you just can't transfer files.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Various free VLC solutions work for me. If remote 'puter is on a router it has to be plugged directly into the cable modem so the ports are all there and open.

It is cool for the victim to see me moving their mouse around & doing stuff.

You can actually have port forwarding setup so a dedicated port will go to a particular computer.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

You can actually have port forwarding setup so a dedicated port will go to a particular computer.

True, maybe if you help the same person like a parent over and over.

Some VLC versions have a simple executable you can email someone and have them run it; easier to explain replugging the ethernet jack than talking them thru their router settings over the phone.

Most of my tech support is from the desperate, over the phone, who need help yesterday.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

True, maybe if you help the same person like a parent over and over.

Some VLC versions have a simple executable you can email someone and have them run it; easier to explain replugging the ethernet jack than talking them thru their router settings over the phone.

Most of my tech support is from the desperate, over the phone, who need help yesterday.
cheers3.gif

LogMeIn uses a website as the "middle" man, and so the client PC actually calls out and connects to the middle PC, that the person using the Technician Console (also web-based) doesn't need to worry about connectivity issues due to routers and the like.

It is by far the best remote assistance solution I've ever used, and I've used a LOT of them.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I use LogMeIn quite extensively. Fantastic product, but it's not cheap.

They have a free version that works well, you just can't transfer files.

I know they have a TRIAL of LogMeIn Rescue... But I have never seen a free version of that product........

Oh, it's a download like VNC or PC Anywhere. Their pay-for version is just done via a web browser; makes support from anywhere to anyone an absolute breeze.

At my work we use Logmein and it works great... But for home use I use PC-Anywhere because they don't limit the amount of computers you can install it on, so all my friends/family have a copy and I remotely fix their computers all the time. It works great through routers too. Only 2 ports to forward... It's also very fast at refreshing the screen if you both have good internet connections.

If the party requiring support is (unfortunate enough to be) using Windows, then a VNC solution might be the best balance between function and security. VNC over and SSH tunnel would be best, but holy mackerel would we ever be making this more complicated than it needs to be!

I have found that some of these web-based solutions, using uPnP to avoid the necessity of proper port forwarding and/ or proper firewall configuration, and are "on all the time" present a bit more of a security issue than I feel comfy with. If I am going to administer a system for someone, I need only configure it's remote desktop for tools that I will be using.

The Windows systems I (am unfortunate enough to) administer all run the TightVNC server, and I just use the Screen Sharing app on my Mac to control their screens.

For Linux, *NIX and Mac systems I just log in using SSH to perform updates and edit config files, or use their system's built-in VNC server if they need to be walked through something.

Logmein would be good for remote fixes on a temporary basis, but for constant use I have TightVNC installed on my home machines with proper ports forwarded in the router to each and an update client for DynDNS running on my server that keeps my web address linked to my home (dynamic) IP. Very easy to use. I can walk up to any computer in the world, open any java enabled web browser and type
Code:
www.mysite.com:7765
(not the actual name or port) and viola, an authentication box pops up, I log in, and I'm in. Doesn't eat up much bandwidth either. All I have to remember is the port number corresponding to the computer I want to access and it's password. It sounds complicated, but setting it up is no more frustrating for the average person than those large toys that say "some assembly required." You don't have to be a computer nerd, just a person with some patience and intelligence.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
20.gif
I like free!

Unlike a web based solution, though, you *will* have to ensure that the default VNC port (5509?) is open to any routers and firewalls.

Thats ok... I do this now with 2 ports for PC-Anywhere... This is just nicer because it's free and not piracy! hehehe Not that I really care about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back