soften seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i have a 1997 mustang gt with 150000 and it is burning oil because of the valve stem seals and i was wondering if there is any additives that would soften the seals or would help the problem thanks
Robbie

there should be seal conditioners addatives at your local autoparts store. If not, Valvoline High Milage oil has seal conditioners. Other brands of high milage oil should also have it.

I would try Auto-Rx first. If that doesn't cure the problem then you might just have to break down and replace the seals.

Those stem seals are probably Viton and you will not be able to "swell" them. you might be able to clean them with auto-rx but you might also have worn valve guides.

are you sure it's a stem seal leakage problem?

Good advice above regarding oil to run with ARX. I guess the other thing I would take a good look at is crankcase ventilation.
This could be a major contibuting factor.

I would think that valve stem seals would produce a cloud of blue on morning start ups.

Stuck or gummed up rings could be the culpret as well. ARX should free up or clean ring packs pretty early on in the process, 500 to 1000 miles.

Don't need to drive it like you stole it for the whole treatment, but be sure to get some long runs in at highway speed, with the oil nice and hot with maximum flow.

Little off the track....but, what do the majority think about seal reconditioners for leaking oil pans/valve covers? Does high mileage oil have enough conditioners or should one add more? Of course gaskets just need to be replaced sometimes.

I would think that a change to Maxlife would help in many cases. If no improvement is noted after 2 oil changes with this oil, then a specific seal conditioner additive may help. But my experience is that any improvements are short-lived and the leaks can come back, but less so with Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back