Kia Rio 2006 SPIII 25712 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory fill of SPIII, lab was OAI. I am looking for comments from someone smarter then eye
grin.gif
as to how this looks. Another question, doesn't this look allot like Mercon V?
confused.gif
Refilled with SPIII.

Iron 36
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Copper 42
Tin 3
Aluminum 24
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 16
Boron 34
Sodium 5
Magesium 2
Calcium 67
Barium 0
Phosphorus 198
Zinc 16
Moly 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Vis@100 4.53
TAN 1.16
Solids TR

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

4.53 cSt??
crazy.gif
I'm really surprised this did so well with so thin a fluid. The assembly lube may be skewing the results a little and may have helped with AW.

I would exchange fluid more often or go with Amsoil ATF.

Tempest call me crazy but don't the adds look allot like the Mercon V you posted??? Don't know about the assembly lube, I've been mulling over the Amsoil UATF since long before this change. The Vis and the Tan are of real interest since this car see's a good bit of mileage, over 25K in the 1st year. I did a VOA on the same factory fluid, the change from a TBN of 2.4 to a TAN of 1.16 seems significant. I'm not well versed in ATF's but it got my head scratching.

Did you flush or just drain/refill?

Fluid needs to be replaced for several reasons. Tan gets too high, viscosity gets too low, wear gets too high....

In this case, everything looks OK except viscosity.
Once you lose 25% of the original visc, you need to change the fluid. You sheared too much too quickly. Don't you just love the demand on ATF that small cars with small engines can do? Frequent shifting and higher then normal stall speeds beat ATF in submission. Monitoring ATF temp would be interesting.
And we wonder why some SPIII trannies don't always last too long?

What assembly lube?
No the results aren't skewed. This fluid is nothing special. Its a DexronIII that has been dosed with HFM additives for slip control TC and smooth shifts.

I guess that is why the Hyundais/Kia/Mitsus that I flush do well with ATF+4. At least ATF+4 is a high percentage of high group oils with a similar additive package.

I don't believe that Mercon-V provides enough anti-shudder protection for JASO requirements.

Quote:

I am looking for comments from someone smarter then eye
grin.gif
as to how this looks.

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

You could always send to Terry Dyson. He has the smarter than eye part covered well.
wink.gif

Quote:

You could always send to Terry Dyson. He has the smarter than eye part covered well.
wink.gif

I was thinking the same thing. The extreme lack of SPIII UAO's makes any comparison of what is normal and what is severe impossible, except for the truly trained eye of Terry.
bowdown2.gif

No high stalls or rough use here. The AT only holds 6.5qt and I was able to remove 4.5 just dropping the pan. I am planning on doing some partials since the pan has a drain plug. I can pull 4 quarts out just popping 2 drain plugs and I have a case and a half of SPIII in the garage. The car seems really well set up for partials but getting the pan off was a pain since it uses gasket maker RTV to seal it, notice the silicon.

Quote:

What assembly lube?

Simply speculating that the assembly lube (hopefully) used at the factory could skew things since this is the first drain. May not be a factor.

T&N, one of Terry's cars is using SP III, so I bet that he would be very interested in SP III UOAs.
grin.gif

Just an update, maybe more of a plug for Terry's new MP3 interpretations, it completely rocked the house.
getdown.gif
Almost 10 minutes of peeking behind the curtain, it was like
assimilation.gif

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back