JD power reliability survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahoo article on new survey says:

The No. 1 problem cited in the study, based on responses from more than 52,000 original owners of 2005 model-year vehicles, was wind noise, followed by noisy brakes, pulling to the left or right, dashboard issues and window fogging. The study weights all problems equally.

So wind noise would be weighted equally to catastrophic engine failure? Some survey...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_dependability

For large cars the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis were on top. I don't believe that is a surprise to anybody who owns Panthers here.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
For large cars the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis were on top. I don't believe that is a surprise to anybody who owns Panthers here.

Not a surprise at all.
grin2.gif

But the study is worthless. If you read what they consider this and that.

Originally Posted By: dargo
But the study is worthless. If you read what they consider this and that.

As are most magazine articles. But fleet usage such as law enforcement, taxi and limousine has shown the panther cars to be insanely reliable.

My favorite was this:

Chrysler LLC was the only Detroit automaker with no brands ranked better than the industry average.

Chrysler spokeswoman Mary Beth Halprin said its namesake and Dodge brands improved their ranking from the 2007 study and have improved by 24 percent over the past five years.

"In the last year, significant changes have been made in the way the new Chrysler LLC works on improving quality and customer satisfaction," Halprin said in a statement. "Those changes have already had a significant impact. The cars we are selling today are greatly improved."

A 24 percent increase and you're still in the bottom half? Incredible.

John

One more fan of the Panther chassis. My parents own a 2000 Grand Marquis LS. It now has about 60k on the clock. Outside of a problem with the steering box when the car was new, it's been flawless in the reliability department. My dad loves to complain about the gas mileage but we're in the NY so we can't avoid the E-10 fuel around here. When the switch occured MPG fell noticably.

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: John_K
My favorite was this:

Chrysler LLC was the only Detroit automaker with no brands ranked better than the industry average.

Chrysler spokeswoman Mary Beth Halprin said its namesake and Dodge brands improved their ranking from the 2007 study and have improved by 24 percent over the past five years.

"In the last year, significant changes have been made in the way the new Chrysler LLC works on improving quality and customer satisfaction," Halprin said in a statement. "Those changes have already had a significant impact. The cars we are selling today are greatly improved."

A 24 percent increase and you're still in the bottom half? Incredible.

John

Well all I have to say about that is our Sheriff in Broward County bought around 400 Dodge Charger Hemis to add to their fleet of about 1600 Crown Vics. Talking to a officer about 2 months ago he said after about 20K miles they spend allot of time at the service center and quite a few of them had to come in on the tow truck. What does that tell ya.

It seems the new Sheriff bought the Chargers to make some of the officers happy since they look cool to some of the officers and they are faster with the Hemi. The down side is the Chargers are going to need extensive and expensive repairs.

My brother's 2008 Honda Accord went in the shop at 2,050 miles for a check engine light....faulty sensor.

Today, his Air conditioning stopped working. Car has 3,500 miles on it.

He went from two previous GM cars (Saturn and then a Chevy) to Honda for their reliability. So far, it seems to like heading back to the dealership.
smirk2.gif

Sometimes new cars just need the bugs worked out of 'em I guess. I know my mom's car was the same way. Her Malibu was the biggest lemon for the first 60k miles or so. After the last repair: oil pan gasket, it's been fine and it's now at 70k with 10k trouble free miles (the longest it's gone without a repair).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
J.D.What?

Most useless opinion, ever.

GM used to think it was important though
grin2.gif

Remember all the GM JD Power commercials a number of years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back