10w30 QS SM 4000 miles 06 RAV4 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my results from 2GR-FE in my 06 RAV4. The oil (10W30 QS, early SM formula, same you can buy on $1.19 clearance at HD) had 4000 miles of mixed driving and some boat towing (200-300 miles), 5 months, second oil change (1-5 k miles on the car). The numbers are very similar to this: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post740477
except for higher insolubles. Following is in case anyone cares:

Fe 11
Al 3
Cr 0
Pb 3
Sn 2
Mo 48
Cu 88
Si 118
TBN 7.3
Visc 11
"Soot" 0.7

The lab, OilGuard, flagged Cu and Si as abnormal even though they knew the engine is braking in. This is my last sample that went to OilGuard. Cheap but unreliable. Took 2 months and several phone calls to get the results.

Probably because it was on sale. OilGuard numbers are worthless, seriously.

How could a car possibly have a 0.7 Soot reading, and have an end of test viscosity at 11?

Quote:

Why are you using 10W-30?

This was strictly summer/fall with "cold" starts at 70-90F.
The GR2-FE is rated for 5W30 indeed. I intend to use dealer dino 5W30 (Citgo) oil changes at 5000 miles/6 months from now on untill warranty expires.

Quote:

I intend to use dealer dino 5W30 (Citgo) oil changes at 5000 miles/6 months from now on until warranty expires.

Why? Cartridge filter giving you too much hassle?

Then again, local dealership here has a Sunday special for $19.95 (Pennzoil 5W30) so it might be worth it.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I intend to use dealer dino 5W30 (Citgo) oil changes at 5000 miles/6 months from now on until warranty expires.

Why? Cartridge filter giving you too much hassle?

Then again, local dealership here has a Sunday special for $19.95 (Pennzoil 5W30) so it might be worth it.
grin.gif

No, it's not that. I've heard too many stories of Toyota refusing to do warranty work if oil changes were not well documented.

Locally, it's only $23, good deal for cartridge and 7 qt of oil.

Well, you can fight them unless they can prove that your maintenance history was the cause of the problem. Then again, if you are extended warranty, none of this is applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back