'05 GMC Canyon SuperTech 10W30 5,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father uses the WalMart SuperTech Syn oil in his 2005 GMC Canyon pickup with the I-5 motor. I was curious how it stacked up, so I took a sample of his oil when changing it and sent it off to blackstone. Here are the facts and the numbers displayed are in this format: actual oil sample results/universal averages.

Vechicle/Engine: 2005 GMC Canyon/I-5 cyl
Truck has 23,044 miles, the oil was run 5,500 miles with no oil added.

Oil used: Supertech 10W/30 "synthetic"

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: "Wal-Mart's SuperTech oil works about as good as any of them. We found the viscosity a little low after the 5,500 mile oil use run, though it isn't lower than many other types of this grade. We check the viscosity at 210 degrees F, so a 5w/30 and a 10w/30 should read alike. They don't however, and this oil reads more like a 5w?30. Noting wear, in comparison wuth universal avg for wear for this type engine, you can see the oil is doing a great job. Copper will drop in subsequent samples. The TBN was 1.5, still okay. Tell your dad to run 6,000 miles next sample."

***My additional note - my dad now says that he is pretty sure he used 10W/30, but can't remember. It could have been 5W/30...maybe the reason the oil showed like a 5w/30.

HERE ARE THE ELEMENTS (THIS SAMPLE OIL/UNIVER. AVG)
ALUMINUM - 2/3
CHROMIUM - 0/1
IRON - 7/13
COPPER - 12/16
LEAD - 0/1
TIN - 0/0
MOLY - 4/64
NICKEL - 0/0
MANGANESE- 1/2
SILVER - 0/0
TITANIUM - 0/0
POTASSIUM- 0/1
BORON - 0/56
SILICON - 9/11
SODIUM - 5/6
CALCIUM - 2188/2238
MAGNESIUM- 8/53
PHOSPHORUS-583/640
ZINC - 629/738
BARIUM - 0/0

SUS VISCOSITY AT 210 = 58.5
FLASHPOINT = 400
FUEL = ANTIFREEZE AND WATER = 0
INSOLUBLES = 0.2

What to the pros at BITOG think? I run Mobil 1 in my vehicles for about the same milage intervals as this (5-6k)- this makes me think harder about going to SuperTech since M1 keeps getting more expensive. If M1 gets much more expensive, maybe I'd be better off either going with Redline or saving money with Walmart Syn.

Although a tad noisy under the hood, these five cylinder DOHC engines don't consume oil. Mine has never used any in 7K OCIS using Mobil-1 EP with a half bottle of VSOT.

Quote:

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: ...The TBN was 1.5, still okay. Tell your dad to run 6,000 miles next sample.

Well...at least Blackstone thinks the TBN is OK. I too am curious what the OLM reported.

I called my dad and he said that he does not know how to get to the OLM system, but that he tried. I pulled up my GM eSi software and checked for him, there is no percent left display, but the change oil message is supposed to come on within a few hundred miles of a recommended change. He's never reset it and it's never come on since he's had the truck - over 20,000 miles. Seems strange to me, I'll run over his house today to see for myself! It's a Canyon SLE, so I'd think it would have the driver info system. I'll report back. As for future OCI, he is going to stick with 5,000 miles because that seems to be the limit with this oil in this application, plus my dad is a little older so even 5k changes are easy to remember
smile.gif

Not too add too much off the topic info, but my 06 Sierra Denali (I had posted a UOA of it a little time back)is now 4300 miles into it;s Mobil 1 10W/30 oil and the OLM is saying 37% oil life left! That equates to around 5-6,000 miles recommended change. I'm gonna run it until it says time to change, then I'll have a good UOA to post that also went by the OLM.

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote:

I called my dad and he said that he does not know how to get to the OLM system, but that he tried. I pulled up my GM eSi software and checked for him, there is no percent left display, but the change oil message is supposed to come on within a few hundred miles of a recommended change. He's never reset it and it's never come on since he's had the truck - over 20,000 miles. Seems strange to me, I'll run over his house today to see for myself! It's a Canyon SLE, so I'd think it would have the driver info system. I'll report back. As for future OCI, he is going to stick with 5,000 miles because that seems to be the limit with this oil in this application, plus my dad is a little older so even 5k changes are easy to remember
smile.gif

Not too add too much off the topic info, but my 06 Sierra Denali (I had posted a UOA of it a little time back)is now 4300 miles into it;s Mobil 1 10W/30 oil and the OLM is saying 37% oil life left! That equates to around 5-6,000 miles recommended change. I'm gonna run it until it says time to change, then I'll have a good UOA to post that also went by the OLM.

Thanks for all the comments.

The OLM carries an upper limit of 12500 miles, so my bets are that he must've inadvertently reset the system by pumping the accelerator pedal...

My dad is a very smart man and a retired GM engineer, but lately he is getting absent minded. It's hard to watch your parents age, but I agree with you, The Critic, he probably reset it. Had too if the upper limit is 12.5k.

Just checked out my dad's Canyon. It does have a Driver info center, but it doesn't provide real info - just warning alerts and such. You get a "change oil" message but no % life left, which is stupid. So, he must have reset any oil change messages he may have ever gotten because with over 20,000 miles the system would have probably alerted a change needed atleast once or twice.

With the positive remarks, I am going to run SuperTech in one of my vehicle's next oil change where I have steady Mobil 1 UOA's to compare with. Just for kicks...and some money left in the wallet!

The Canyon and Colorado don't have the percentage OLM. Mine first went on at 13.2K. I think the only measure in this OLM is a counter system. The oil change light goes on - then you you reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back