NAPA Conv. 5W-20, 8,202, 04 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLM

032009.jpg

Holy Sodium!
Napa Conventional 5W-20 made by Ashland and purchased just before it was put into service. Prior sample with only 35 ppm sodium was Synpower 5W-30. Is this high triple digit sodium count the norm for current Ashland products or do I have something to get worried about. I knew they recently made a change but didn't expect this.

Yeah, I'd agree that this is one of the best UOA's on the board. 'Store brand' conventional going 8k miles...very impressive!

Or a favorite engine?

Or a favorite confusing sodium additive?

Even with a timing chain, very low iron (and all wear metals).

If Ashland has it nailed with a budget sodium additive, why do most others continue with molybdenum and boron additives?

One of the best UOAs I've seen....

I think it has mostly to do with the engine, but fantastic none-the-less. 2.4L I4 Honda engines are excellent engines.

I'd be curious to see a UOA with the Valvoline All-Climate to see how it compares to Napa's weakened add pack.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

I think it has mostly to do with the engine, but fantastic none-the-less. 2.4L I4 Honda engines are excellent engines.

I'd be curious to see a UOA with the Valvoline All-Climate to see how it compares to Napa's weakened add pack.

How do you all know this oil has a weakened add pack? I have wondered for a long time if it wasn't just relabeled All-Climate. Sadly I had only 4 qts of the All-Climate 5W-20 sitting in the garage at the change or it would have gone in. Havoline DS 5W-30 5 qt. jug from a wally closeout a few weeks back had to do instead. I'll try to remember to do a All-Climate run after this OCI.

Originally Posted By: RLM

How do you all know this oil has a weakened add pack? I have wondered for a long time if it wasn't just relabeled All-Climate. Sadly I had only 4 qts of the All-Climate 5W-20 sitting in the garage at the change or it would have gone in. Havoline DS 5W-30 5 qt. jug from a wally closeout a few weeks back had to do instead. I'll try to remember to do a All-Climate run after this OCI.

I remember seeing a VOA that compared the two, and the Napa seemed to have lower Calcium compared to the All-Climate.

Originally Posted By: RLM

I don't know about oil, but years ago I worked in a food processing plant where we made syrup, peanut butter, margarine, etc., anyway, we never changed the product, just the label depending on the brand and people would swear one brand was better than the other, don't know if this would be same as Valvoline and NAPA situation.

what were the driving conditions? Honda engine with wear this low and Napa oil makes me think this is a 90% highway UOA!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
what were the driving conditions? Honda engine with wear this low and Napa oil makes me think this is a 90% highway UOA!

Yes, it is not the oil. It has done this well with everything. It is the engine and driving style. 60 mile daily commute 90% highway. Synpower 5W-30, Durablend 5W-30, And Motorcraft 5W-20 have all done this well. Actually this is the highest iron I have ever had.

Edit: also forgot to add this oil had one 2000 mile road trip during the oci.

Last edited:
Did you run at least 2 OCI's with this oil? Or was the prior run the Synpower 5W30, then you changed to this oil and took the sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back