M1 5w30 / 2006 Legacy GT / 4020mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's the next sample taken on my Subaru Legacy GT. Previous sample thread is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1279088&fpart=1

For reference, I changed the oil and air filters to the factory OEM units for this sequence. Oil is the same as before. Also note that the oil was drained "warm"... not "hot" or "cold"... hence it is the suspect for higher fuel in the sample.

Blackstone2.gif

The data in text-form, to prevent losing the image later on:
MI/HR on Oil 4,020
MI/HR on Unit 44,456
Sample Date 1/11/2009
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts
ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 13
COPPER 9
LEAD 7
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 80
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 41
SILICON 25
SODIUM 11
CALCIUM 2168
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 719
BARIUM 0
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.41
Flashpoint in °F 340
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 4.0

Looks like the shorter OCI helped a bit. I don't know if the air filter made any significant difference (ie was the reduction for silicon and metals all because of the shorter OCI?)

Any other comments?

Silicon is really, really high for a 4k run. Yes, its an improvement, but still, you might want to look for intake leaks.....

What addyguy said.

The oil is also very close to being a 20 grade. Not too surprising since it's M1 5W-30 in a turbo subie. I don't think that I would push the next OCI much past 4-4.5k, but that's just me. Hopefully the lead and iron will continue to drop.

Interesting that bulwnkl said you had a fuel problem in the other thread and now your fuel is high. Hopefully, it's just that the oil wasn't hot.

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why this is acceptable? Or an improvement? I completely disagree.

Wear metals are where they wear at his 7,165 mile run with Ml....the PPM per 1000 miles is [censored] near identical. Iron actually increased fairly signficantly.

If anything, the recommendations flowing out of BITOG should be:

1. Run M1 for 7500 miles in your engine as it's shown to last that long and provide the same wear levels as 4000 miles.

2. Find out why your car is spitting silicon. Maybe it's just a silicon-spitter engine, one of those rare ones, but most likely you've got a leak between air filter and intake manifold.

3. Switch to a different oil, even a different grade of Mobil One....like 0w40.

Cutting back his OCI did absolutely nothing for him but waste money.

Joe

Good points Joe. It's almost as if Blackstone didn't look at the mileage difference. But what do I know?
21.gif

I think I would try a different oil (brand or viscosity).

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Can anyone explain to me why this is acceptable? Or an improvement? I completely disagree.

Well the wear numbers are acceptable and the silicon really didn't cause much if any wear bc Al, Cr. and Iron aren't that high. Remember Mobil 1 habitually gives higher Fe numbers. And bearing wear is typically not a function of higher dirt levels.

I do agree the silicon is higher than it should be by a factor of two. I'm guessing there is a K&N air filter here.

Originally Posted By: Al
I do agree the silicon is higher than it should be by a factor of two. I'm guessing there is a K&N air filter here.
Nope - no K&N filters here. The first was with an STP air filter and M1 oil filter; the second was with a OEM air and oil filters. (Both were with M1 5w30 oil).

FWIW, I can't find any gallon-sizes of M1 0w40 in my area... (quarts are available at ~$7/qt) so it looks like I'll be using PP 5w30 which is $23 for a gallon and is often recommended.

I had previously heard that Shell Rotella T was good stuff... should I be considering that (I can get that for $20 a gallon in the 5w40 flavor).

Lastly, I was looking for a taller oil filter to match the PL14610 that JoeFromPA has recommended (since I can't get Purolator filters at my Autozone)... this filter seems to match up to a Bosch 3323 or an M1-110 (both are taller versions of the normally-spec'd 3300 and M1-108 for the LGT). Anyone see any issues with me using the taller-Bosch here?

I wouldn't run the PP much past 4k. I haven't seen many reports of it in turbo Subies, but AndyH here had a slight increase in wear metals after running it in an STI.

No comment on the filter since I've only used short ones (OEM and Amsoil).

-Dennis

Schwinn - Check out the STI report on Rotella T.....I'm going to post it over on LGT.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back