08 Saturn Aura Ecotec Valvoline Conv 5w-30 4,954mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Blackstone.jpg
[/img]

Hey guys, just discovered this site a couple weeks ago and really enjoying the wealth of information and great posts that is has to offer. It came just in time as I was due for an oil change, so decided it would be a great time to get an analysis.

A little background - I had an '03 Cavalier and '05 Cobalt before I purchased this Saturn new in April. I really liked the economy, performance and reliability of the Ecotec, and continue to be happy with this one.

This is actually the third oil change on the car, the first was at 1,548. The second one I did at 4,013 and this last one was at 8,967 miles. Each time I changed it myself, using Valvoline Conventional 5w-30 and an AC Delco filter. For the first month of this last run, I was working less than 2 miles from home so it saw quite a few short runs. Also, we have already had snow around here and it is possible that some of the road salt they have coated the road with was sucked in through the intake.

Interestingly enough, I never reset the OLM until this last oil change, and it was still reading 6% at 8,967. I would guess that it would of finally told me to change it at 9,500. Blackstone recommended the next oci of 7,500 miles, however the TBN was at 2.6 and that seems a little low.

I am considering either sticking with the conventional and a 5-6k oci, or possibly switching to a synthetic and following the OLM. Any input is welcome!

The Ecotech will do great with dino oil, Those engines are very well designed.

Like me, some people like to use synthetic regardless!
So if you want to use synthetic, go for it. There are many great oils out there.

Welcome to the Forum!!

The filter is simple to change. 1 1/4 socket is all you need, it is right on top and doesn't make a mess at all. Plus you don't have to cut it open to see the condition or worry about a poorly constructed can.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The filter is simple to change. 1 1/4 socket is all you need, it is right on top and doesn't make a mess at all. Plus you don't have to cut it open to see the condition or worry about a poorly constructed can.

Yep my buddie has the ecotec (cobalt)

I allways get a good look at his filter every change.

I think Im gonna cut my filter open this time though

That's a smart design then. It's a pain in the arse to change the cartrige type oil filter in some Toyota models. It's also pretty good that a conventional Oil is producing a stellar OA in the ecotec engine. I might need to look into buying a GM car when it's time to buy a new car.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBN of 2.6 is still a lot of life remaining. The Blackstone readings are ridiculously low compared to most labs. I should be fine for 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
TBN of 2.6 is still a lot of life remaining. The Blackstone readings are ridiculously low compared to most labs. I should be fine for 7500 miles.

This report is way nice. Yea TBN is fine. I stopped doing TBN a long time ago. As long as everything is fine I'll save the 10 bucks. Others will disagree.

Thanks for posting. Good luck with your future oil obsession.

Its funny - at one point, Valvoline was accused of being 'cheap' and 'weak' b/c of their add-pack. That steretype ws fought against violently by fans of this oil, but unfortunately, it seems to be true!

Notice that this oil has a relatively low Ca content, and that is supplemented by the sodium additive. Sodium as an additive is much cheaper than Ca, so they are being cheap on that front. Also, the oil has no moly OR Boron.

Not that this is to say that this is a 'bad' oil - it does well in all analyses we see it in. But it is interesting to clearly see that Valv. is trying to wring as much profit as it can from this oil - it hardly EVER goes on sale that I see.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Its funny - at one point, Valvoline was accused of being 'cheap' and 'weak' b/c of their add-pack. That steretype ws fought against violently by fans of this oil, but unfortunately, it seems to be true!

Notice that this oil has a relatively low Ca content, and that is supplemented by the sodium additive. Sodium as an additive is much cheaper than Ca, so they are being cheap on that front. Also, the oil has no moly OR Boron.

Not that this is to say that this is a 'bad' oil - it does well in all analyses we see it in. But it is interesting to clearly see that Valv. is trying to wring as much profit as it can from this oil - it hardly EVER goes on sale that I see.....

I actually picked up 4 or 5 4 quart bottles at Advance Auto for $7/ea back in April, and have been using that since. I have one change left, and I am considering trying Pennzoil after reading about all of the love for it on this site. I was always under the impression Valvoline was the best, so I grabbed a few bottles when it was cheap.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

What is the benefit of using Ca and Boron over Sodium?

If there is no sodium in the oil, it gives you a clearer picture of whether you have anti-freeze in the oil....

As far as actual performance of the additives, I really don't know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back