Rogue 5411km Factory Fill + 0km Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan Rogue 2008, 5411km (3362 miles), from April 17 to June 20.
Factory fill (dealer said supposed to be Esso conventional).
80% highway, 10% city and 10% traffic jam (at the end of the commute).
At about 4000km, I changed the air filter and put an aFe Pro dry S filter after searching on this site (supposed to higher the Si at first and then keep it low).

I did not like the result at first but I checked with Reddog's results at 890 miles and except the silicon which is 3 times over and the fuel dilution, it is about the same.
Rogue_5411km_FactoryFill_5411km.jpg

Any comments on this one.
Any advice to try to solve this fuel dilution? Is it part of the break-in phase?

Question for the Amsoil representative here (Pablo or Gary): I don't know if I filled the paper correctly or they did not understand what I wrote, but there are some missing info which should be nice to them to have (the fact that it is a Rogue for example): How can I transmit them the info? Can I reply to their email ([email protected])?

Second part of the experiment: I plan to test the oil at 4 months and at 6 months when I will change it (still under warranty). Miles wise, I should be close to do 10.000km with the oil if I keep the same commute. That is why I choose a syn blend oil.

Therefore, to know from where I start, I poured the Synpower 5w30 in the sump, run the engine about 5 minutes (time to get out of the blocks and park the car in the garage) and sampled the oil.
So it is not really a VOA but more a 0km UOA
crazy2.gif

Like that I know how much iron and silicon I have from the start and will be able to see the evolution.

Rogue_5411km_Synpower_0km.jpg

What do you think about the procedure? Is it a waste of money?

I've done "in sump VOA" before. It indexes any residuals. I would have gone 200-300km before sampling just to assure that you had a few heating/cooling cycles. They're somewhat expensive on our scale of use, but it's used in fleet or construction/mining to account for residuals in the sump. You know exactly what you started with.

New vehicle silicon.

I know I should have done some heating cycles but did not have any plan to move somewhere during the weekend and wanted to send both samples at the same time to be on the same result sheet (did not happen anyway).

Gary, could you help with this communication problem with oil Analysers? How could I contact them? Do you have an email address for me?

What about the fuel dilution?

As far as fuel dilution...Make sure the vehicle had gone at least an hour or 30+ miles and take the sample hot. Make sure you let the oil run a few seconds before grabbing the sample. You don't want the top or the bottom.

So it is due to bad sampling more than a problem with the engine.

It is true that I sampled just before doing the oil change, through the dipstick (to use the same process than the other future samplings), so the oil was just warned for the oil change.
Next time I will sample when I come back from work.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Good to know, thanks for the info.

It won't help the wear metals but it will give you a truer representative reading for Fuel, Water, and viscosity.

And you don't need to grab the sample as soon as you get back. It can certainly cool for an hour at least..probably a lot more. No further moisture or fuel will form as long as it is say 25 degrees (a guess) above air temp.

Later,
Al

I understood that, don't worry.

I did not know that to avoid a misreading of the fuel dilution, and camouflage of others things by it, you had to run it for a while before sampling.

As mentioned before, compared to the results of another Rogue's owner, I am quite happy with the results (unfortunately wasted a bit by my sampling mistake) for a brand new break-in engine.

Was wondering if you had further comments on it, any opinion?

Any suggestion about my miscommunication with the oil analyzer guys?

Most everything is higher on a new engine UOA .Don't do another uoa till 3 or 4 more oil changes It really is a waste of $$$ to UOA uith a new motor unless there is a suspected problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back