2005 Subaru WRX STi | Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
20080404.gif

Oil was used in Florida spring. Driven somewhat aggressively on the road, lots of engine braking.

I just recently got 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T Sythentic 5w-40 to put in my next change.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

The copper could be from your oil cooler. Looks pretty typical for an SM GF-4 xW30 IMO.

I don't think I would go thinner than 5W40 in an STI in FL, unless I was running something like Redline, Amsoil, etc. RTS FTW!
19.gif

edit: Wow, only 3k miles! Hopefully, copper will come down on your next interval.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I would have stayed with the M-1 I have not been impressed with Rotella oil and I don't think you need a 40 wt oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I don't think I would go thinner than 5W40 in an STI in FL

-Dennis

Dennis, why do you say that, since operating oil temperature after warmup would be pretty much the same whether the engine was run in FL or ME? It's the cold temperature viscosity that I would be willing to increase in FL, say going from a 5W-30 to a 10W-30

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I don't think I would go thinner than 5W40 in an STI in FL

-Dennis

Dennis, why do you say that, since operating oil temperature after warmup would be pretty much the same whether the engine was run in FL or ME? It's the cold temperature viscosity that I would be willing to increase in FL, say going from a 5W-30 to a 10W-30

Mainly because of the hard driven WRX's and STI's with problems running thinner oils. From spun bearings to clogged oils screens.
I know a lot of it is neglect/poor tuning but I would just be more comfortable running something thicker.

Subaru also allows 10W30 and 10W40 from 0F and higher and "requires" thicker viscosities in higher temps.

32.gif

I just had my factory turbo replaced under warranty because of too much oil getting past the turbo seals. This is on a 100% stock engine that is driven hard, but not raced. Actually, my warranty had expired but Subaru of America "goodwilled" my coverage because I mentioned that my turbo was smoking to the dealer twice in the past. I finally convinced them to take it apart because there were no visible external signs an minimal oil loss.

I wonder if an xW40 would have prevented this. It's not an uncommon problem, but the first my dealer had seen on a stock car.
21.gif

Sorry for the thread hijack. But more fuel for the thick vs. thin debate I suppose.
55.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Blue,

Seems to me the problem is high temperature stability of the oil in the turbo bearings. In that case, I'd probably go with the RLI 5W40, or even the RLI SAE 40. Both are on the high end of the 40W scale, have extremely low oxidation and deposit formation (as evidenced by micro oxidation and TEOST testing) and have extremely high VI. The SAE 40 had a VI of 168 after 10K miles, which is just about unheard of for a straight weight. It performs like a 10W40 and survived a New England winter for me with a -30 pour point. It also has HTHS >3.7

USDM STi does not have an oil cooler. I think the copper is coming from my Fumota valve, which is either made from brass, or coated in brass/copper.

I'm was considering switching out of M1 5W-30 because a lot of the Subaru guys have high oil consumption with this particular oil. The manual does say that in hotter climates where it doesn't dip below I think 70F to switch to 10w-40 oil.

I switched to Rotella Sythentic 5w-40 because i've heard a lot of good things about its low wear. I've been told that both Mobil 1 and Rotella T Sythentic are not TRUE sythetics, but my research has told me that true sythentic motor oils are expensive. I don't see a need for Royal Purple or AMSoil.

Anyways, the RTS 5w-40 is already in the car. The first thing I noticed is that the engine is quieter at idle. It may be the placebo effect, but interesting nonetheless. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited:
Si looks a little high for only 3k miles. Oil did not seem to shear much. I would think the oil is performing OK but I would check for dirt ingestion. or did you change the air filter recently?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
The STi most certanly does have an oil cooler!

Sorry, I stand corrected. It does have an oil cooler (I went and did a little more research). However, if there was this much copper normally in the motor, wouldn't the universal average be higher, or does Blackstone only do their universal averages based on strictly engine type and not car type?

Also, Si might be high because the air filer I have on it is fairly new - a K&N Typhoon intake kit, which uses an oiled cotton cone filter. Once the oil in it settles in a bit and more dirt gets trapped in it, the filtration should be better.

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back