Pennzoil 5W-30, 5,645 miles, 1999 Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA on my new 1999 Civic EX. I did this as a pre-ARX to compare later on with the post-ARX numbers to see any differences. Car is used 70% highway, 30% city. Universal averages have the asterisk next to it.

----

NATHAN: Everything looks good in the first sample from your '99 Civic. Universal averages for the 1.8L are based on an oil run of 4300 miles. Your wear generally read around averages and all metals were in the correct balance. That's a good sign that your engine has no problems to speak of, and you could run the oil more miles if you wanted to. No harmful contaminants were found and your air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well. Try 6500 miles next time. This engine is showing no signs of slowing down!

5,645 miles on oil
118, 245 miles on engine
1 qt. make-up oil added (Pennzoil 5W-30 yellow bottle)
Purolator premium oil filter (for you filter buffs out there)

Aluminum: 2 - 4*
Chromium: 0 - 1*
Iron: 8 - 9*
Copper: 2 - 6*
Lead: 2 - 3*
Tin: 0 - 0*
Moly: 182 - 81*
Nickel: 1 - 0*
Manganese: 0 - 1*
Silver: 0 - 0*
Titanium: 0 - 0*
Potassium: 0 - 1*
Boron: 23 - 57*
Silicon: 3 - 10*
Calcium: 2005 - 2209*
Magnesium: 8 - 164*
Phosphorus: 674 - 730*
Zinc: 853 - 859*
Barium: 0 - 0*

SUS Viscosity @ 210: 57.4 - 56 to 62*
cSt Vicsosity @ 100: 9.46 - 9.1 to 11.1*
Flashpoint: 410 - >365*
Fuel%: Antifreeze%: 0 - 0*
Water%: 0 - 0*
Insolubles%: 0.2 -
So how did this first reading go? Right now I'm about halfway through my first cleaning cycle and am eager to see what changes (if any) there will after my first ARX cycle.

11.gif

Last edited:
Pretty stellar report from my untrained eyes. Looks like the yellow bottle holds its viscosity better than M1 does.

I don't think you'll see much change at this level of UOA in the post Auto-Rx treatment. I think you would see something if oxidation/nitration/etc ..stuff that Dyson includes in his UOA.

This is a great UOA. I can't see much improving here in indications. If you could see combustion efficiency and byproduct/effects, then you could probably see it.

Before you take another sample, complete the ARX cleaning phase and do the rinse cycle, then at the end of the third oil change do another UOA.

Darn, sounds like a washing machine commercial.

Yes, that is the plan. I've done three full ARX cleanings on different cars but this is the first that I'll be able to do a before and after. I plan on putting on the same mileage on the post-ARX change.

And yes...typo. Car is still bone stock with the D16Y8 engine.

Not bashing,just asking but with a full 1 qt of make-up oil used would that not replenish some needed additives and sway the results some??? I assume 4 qt capacity.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i believe it would have some effect on it yes

I'm sure it's hard to quantify but can a seal of approval be given to this oil and uoa with a quarter of the original fill being replaced??

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
This car has a 3.5 quart capacity

So my question still stands seeing that more than 1/4 was replaced..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back