PP 5w30, 7000 miles, 98 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I get to post the first UOA on the new board!
grin.gif

Here are the latest oil analysis results from my 98 Corvette

Analysis by Wearcheck Canada

7000 miles on oil
May 13 to Nov 4 (6 months)
87,000 miles on the car
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Wix oil filter
Vararam cold air kit (with a cotton gauze filter)
LS1 5.7L V8 engine
Daily driver with a lot of rush hour traffic
5 quarter mile runs
7qt oil capacity
1qt of oil added
Oil life monitor was at 0%

Iron 14
Lead 6
Aluminum 4
Copper 1
Chromium 1
Tin 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Nickel 0

Silicon 17
Potassium 0
Sodium 0
Boron 20
Barium 0
Calcium 3177 (nice!)
Magnesium 46
Moly 42
Phosphorus 732
Zinc 880

Fuel Glycol 0
Water 0

Viscosity
62.0 cst at 40c
11.0 cst at 100c

Viscosity Index 171

TBN 3.98

This is my first run with PP, and I’m pretty pleased with the results. It’s not quite as good as GC in the wear department, but the silicon level is a bit higher too, so that could account for some of the wear.

I'm happy that this oil did not thin out! It starts at 10.3, so it's a bit thicker but also keep in mind there is a little bit of the old run of GC mixed in with that too, so that would thicken it every so slightly too.

Looks good to me! I bet it will do better on the second run. I like the TBN still at >3...nice. If the silicon would have been lower, I bet this would have been a really sweet UOA.

I assume you put PP back in?

Heck this is a stout UOA man. Wassup with the silicon I wonder? Dad gum throttle bodies work lose FYI from the intake. I finally had to locktite the four little bolts. I think this looks good.
You must be "lugging" that LS1 Patman to be burning a quart on this OCI. Get on that thing! That pedal on the far right is the go button. It works best down to the floor
smile.gif
Seriously...in town type driving on these LS1's will result in oil usage....guys that run em hard...use very very little oil....

Very nice! Looks perfect. Very low wear for such a strong engine. Looks like 10k miles is achievable.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Looks good to me! I bet it will do better on the second run. I like the TBN still at >3...nice. If the silicon would have been lower, I bet this would have been a really sweet UOA.

I assume you put PP back in?

Yep, I'm planning on running PP for a while now, even if the wear numbers are a tick higher than with GC, and the valvetrain noise is a bit louder, I still think this oil is a great bargain. I bought a bunch of 5qt jugs for only $18.47 each (which is a killer price considering it normally sells for over $7 a quart here!!)

Originally Posted By: SargeGTO
Heck this is a stout UOA man. Wassup with the silicon I wonder? Dad gum throttle bodies work lose FYI from the intake. I finally had to locktite the four little bolts. I think this looks good.
You must be "lugging" that LS1 Patman to be burning a quart on this OCI. Get on that thing! That pedal on the far right is the go button. It works best down to the floor
smile.gif
Seriously...in town type driving on these LS1's will result in oil usage....guys that run em hard...use very very little oil....

I'd love to be able to drive it harder on a regular basis, but they've come out with this new "racing law" here in Ontario, and cops are cracking down like crazy. If they catch you doing 50km/h over the limit (which is easy to do with one full throttle blast in the Corvette) they will impound your car on the spot, no questions asked, for one week. They also take your licence away for one week, and they can fine you between $2000 and $10,000! Not cool. So I've been driving like a grandma these past few weeks since that law kicked in.

The silicon is due to the filter that comes with the Vararam, it's obviously not that good. I got lower silicon when I ran a K&N air filter! But the 4 tenths improvement in the quarter mile is worth a little bit more silicon in my oil. It just means I really can't push my oil too far. Following my oil life monitor and changing it right at zero percent seems to be the best way to go. I might even try changing it at 10% next time to see if the overall wear/mile rate changes.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
0% oil life monitor. TBN 3.98. nice UOA

To be completely accurate, the oil life monitor hit zero just before I got to the dragstrip on Saturday morning last week. I reset it (so the CHANGE OIL NOW message would stop coming on everytime I started the engine), made 5 quarter mile runs, drove 70 miles home, then drove about 30 more miles, then changed the oil.

So technically speaking my oil life was probably more like -2%.
laugh.gif

Patman, these wear metals are so low you'd never notice the difference IMO. I'd be very happy with this one.
smile.gif

Hey-

You all can get FREE PP AR at O'Reilly Auto Parts!

Good UOA's & $30 in free oil...!

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Patman, these wear metals are so low you'd never notice the difference IMO. I'd be very happy with this one.
smile.gif

True, these engines last forever in stock trim, they'll easily go 300,000 miles. So even with my iron and lead being a tick higher, the engine won't really suffer.

I am a bit worried at the minor spike in tin though. I wonder what caused that?

Patman I am a bit worried at the minor spike in tin though. I wonder what caused that? [/quote said:
Noise? By that, I mean you could have had a 1.4 being reported as a 1, the next time, you could have had a 1.5 being reported as a 2. Maybe it's just not significant...

Patman,look back on your previous uoa's I mentioned you would have good uoa's with any good oil. Get a real air filter.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: SargeGTO
smile.gif

I'd love to be able to drive it harder on a regular basis, but they've come out with this new "racing law" here in Ontario, and cops are cracking down like crazy. If they catch you doing 50km/h over the limit (which is easy to do with one full throttle blast in the Corvette) they will impound your car on the spot, no questions asked, for one week. They also take your licence away for one week, and they can fine you between $2000 and $10,000! Not cool. So I've been driving like a grandma these past few weeks since that law kicked in.

The silicon is due to the filter that comes with the Vararam, it's obviously not that good. I got lower silicon when I ran a K&N air filter! But the 4 tenths improvement in the quarter mile is worth a little bit more silicon in my oil. It just means I really can't push my oil too far. Following my oil life monitor and changing it right at zero percent seems to be the best way to go. I might even try changing it at 10% next time to see if the overall wear/mile rate changes.

My silicon dropped from 12 to 5-6 with the switch from KN to Amsoil. WOW...cracking down in The Great White North huh?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Titan

Noise? By that, I mean you could have had a 1.4 being reported as a 1, the next time, you could have had a 1.5 being reported as a 2. Maybe it's just not significant...

Wearcheck actually reported tin as 1.7 to me, and I just rounded it off to 2 when posting it here.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Patman,look back on your previous uoa's I mentioned you would have good uoa's with any good oil. Get a real air filter.

I can't, the Vararam cold air induction I've got on my car doesn't use a standard sized filter. Out of the three available filters that came with this unit over the years, this one is actually the best one. The other two have been reported to not fit very well. So I'm stuck with this filter, unless they eventually come out with a better one.

I'm sure you're pleased with that report Patman. My 04 vette has 5500 miles on the same oil, so I'll be posting some numbers to compare with yours soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back