UOA on Kohler 15HP, Mobil 1 EP 10W-30, ~105 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA I did for fun - it's from the Kohler Command SP 15 Horsepower engine on my Toro Proline walk-behind mower, which I believe is a 2004 model. The number of hours are estimated - I could be off by a bit. I am impressed at the TBN retention. Note this oil is filtered, and I am using a Mobil 1 M1-102 as the filter. Looks like it may have sheared slightly. Comments?

Kohler_UOA1.gif

Better check your Kohler model numbers and HP.

I have a walk behind mower but never saw one with a 15 HP unit.

I think your hour usage may be off as well.

It is correct as stated - Let me add some additional information - It's a Toro Proline walk-behind mower, with a 36 inch floating cutting deck. This is a commercial walk-behind mower with a stand-on sulky plate, so the operator stands on it and steers the mower around. This mower is being used for commercial usage, and cuts perhaps an average of 7-8 lawns a week...

Great report and tbn for the hours run. Glad I'm running the 10-30 EP for my 40 annual mows. Heck,I may go to 1 Fall change per year instead of the 2 ocis I currently perform.

The diesel fuel designation is in error. I meant to point that out - it should be Gasoline...Out of curiosity, do you think that the 0.5% fuel dilution is responsible for the slight drop in viscosity, or did the oil shear a bit?

Originally Posted By: btanchors
The diesel fuel designation is in error. I meant to point that out - it should be Gasoline...Out of curiosity, do you think that the 0.5% fuel dilution is responsible for the slight drop in viscosity, or did the oil shear a bit?

Probably a little shear.

The Kohler 15 HP recommends 100 hrs oil intervals I believe. It's a fine engine. Engine is not that hard on oil. What's the oil sump 2 - 3 qts. Just asking was the oil dark and how many hours OCI and time period on previous runs.. I would opt with the 10w-30 given the choice. Optimal choice would be a 30wt. I would give Amsoil ASE a look ... It's what I would use and yes extending 100 hrs shouldn't be a problem.

Mamala Bay - The sump is, I think, around 2 quarts - can't remember exactly since I last changed it this past spring.

I did not change the oil when I pulled the sample that was analyzed. It is fairly light in color - not very dark. I've been changing it in the past about twice a season, which amounts to around 100 hours each interval. For the next oil change, I am going with the new Amsoil MCT, which is Amsoil's new 10W-30 motorcycle oil. According to Amsoil's tech support, MCT is much superior to ASE.

The MCT oil is superior in 'extended' oil intervals regarding with small engines. The ASE application is in a broad spectrum with small engine's recommended OCI ranging from 25 hrs- 100 hrs. That being said 200 hours with the MCT is doable with the Kohler 15 hp in a mechanically sound engine.

Personally I wouldn't have any problems using the ASE in these Kohler engines. Extending 100 hours would not be a problem ...

I have the same engine (16hp) in my John Deere. I'm using Amsoil ASE and only put about 40 hours on per year. This fall I think I'm just going to change the filter and top off the oil. Last fall when I changed it, it hardly changed color.

I have a 15hp Command engine on my John Deere LT155....

Like other's have said, my oil looks like new after a spring/summer/fall of use.

I would expect this engine to outlast most anything it is attached to, with proper care and feeding.

Usually my riding mowers fall apart around the engine. It doesn't matter if it is a John Deere, Craftsman, Husquvarna, or otherwise.

The drive assemblies, wheels, and axles are a little to be desired and most of the moving parts are exposed to the outside world.

Belt driven is so lame. What I'd give to have chain drive on something that doesn't cost $3,000+

SnakeOil, that's what most of us believe. Especially with the way we over-maintain our engines. When I was still taking care of Dad's OPE, I made it a point to keep grass and dirt from building up on the things, greasing each fitting (if it had fittings) every 8-10 hours, etc ...

All of his stuff is stored indoors so corrosion should not be an issue.

This UOA looks really good. I'd be happy with wear numbers nearly double these. I wonder how much worse the wear would be without the spin-on filter?

YEa, after btanchors gave us additional information I would agree. This oil and engine combo is good.

However, I would have opted for Mobil 1 10W40 HM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back