Prolong additive VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my readers forwarded along the patent for Prolong, issued in 1989. The patent includes a VOA:

Pour point: -27 deg. F
Viscosity @ 100 deg. C: 37.5 SUS or 3.41 cSt
Flashpoint: 108 deg. F
TBN (D2896 method): 6.73

Iron 7
Chromium 7
Copper 2
Lead 33
Aluminum 9
Silicon 4
Tin 13
Sodium 10
Magnesium 11
Silver 1
Nickel 5
Zinc 11
Calcium 1000+

The patent also states that Prolong is:
51.5% chlorinated parrafins
31% aromatic solvent
15.5% mineral oil
1% mineral spirits
1% calcium sulfonate

At some point when I'm really bored I'll key in the whole thing and post it online.

Cheers, 3MP

Looks like someone would see less engine wear if they just poured gravel into their oil! It's too bad so many people have used this terrible product.

I suppose the lead could be lead napthenate, which is an antiwear...but what is up with all the other metals
shocked.gif

What did they use for a base oil ... mildly filtered waste oil from a Quicky Loob?
shocked.gif

OK, I'll have to admit it ... I used this stuff once ... once.
rolleyes.gif

It was the late nineties ... I was young(er) and foolish.
dunno.gif

But never again. Never!
spaz.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I suppose the lead could be lead napthenate, which is an antiwear...but what is up with all the other metals
shocked.gif

Well, I suppose the other metals are from rusty plastic containers.
grin.gif

I'm glad I never used it, although I did use Slick 50 and even worse Greased Lightning (which has more PTFE)
rolleyes.gif

Rick

yeah looks like they are just packaging used oil into their bottles. **** shame companies get away with this crap. I was expecting to see some large amount of some anti-wear such as moly or zinc, but they were too cheap to even do that.

sucks to see stuff like this.

mad.gif
Joey

Is it just me, or would testing for the viscocity at 100C be mighty difficult on a substance with a flashpoint of 100F?
wink.gif

I don't know why people keep buying this stuff. Heck, Slick 50 is STILL being sold! The FTC has fined just about all of the people who make these various oil supplements-the makers of Slick 50, STP, Valvoline (a while back when they made an oil supplement), Prolong, Duralube-just about all of them.

I have to admit though, I used a few things myself. And none of the people who make the stuff I have tried (except for STP) have been fined yet. I tried Tufoil, Lubegard, and Krex when my Saturn service rep talked me into it.

Only stuff I would put in my oil now is Auto-RX and Lube Control, and Schaeffer's #132.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back