Schaeffer 7000 5w-20, SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schaeffer 7000 5w-20, SM

Sampled via vacuum pump from a recently purchased, previously unopened 5 gal pail.

Analysis by Polaris Labs.

Fe-----1

Cu-----1

Pb-----1

Si-----13

Na-----9

Mo-----516

Sb-----7

B------13

Mg-----123

Ca-----2108

Ba-----1

P------881

Z------1021

All others 0.

Water=
Visc @100C= 9.4

TBN= 7.3

OX= 9

NIT= 10

I'm actually considering buying and trying some of this in my Camry hybrid. That said, and with the caveat that it does not change my mind, isn't a TBN of 7.3 a tad low for fresh oil?

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D4739.htm

Quote:
5.2 As stated in 1.2, this test method uses a weaker acid to titrate the base than Test Method D 2896, and the titration solvents are also different. Test Method D 2896 uses a stronger acid and a more polar solvent system than Test Method D 4739. As a result, Test Method D 2896 will titrate salts of weak acids (soaps), basic salts of polyacidic bases, and weak alkaline salts of some metals. They do not protect the oil from acidic components due to the degradation of the oil. This test method may produce a falsely exaggerated base number. Test Method D 4739 will probably not titrate these weak bases but, if so, will titrate them to a lesser degree of completion. It measures only the basic components of the additive package that neutralizes acids. On the other hand, if the additive package contains weak basic components that do not play a role in neutralizing the acidic components of the degrading oil, then the Test Method D 4739 result may be falsely understated.

The VOA only shows a .2 difference from schaeffers TBN spec on the PDS 7.5 vs 7.3 so they appear to be using the same method. Schaeffer's uses 2896 as listed on the PDS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I'm actually considering buying and trying some of this in my Camry hybrid. That said, and with the caveat that it does not change my mind, isn't a TBN of 7.3 a tad low for fresh oil?

Schaeffer's has astonishing TBN retention. Despite the low TBN, it is very much a long drain oil.

ekpolk,

Initially I too had a bit of a hard time accepting the seemingly low starting TBN shown by the Schaeffer's oils. These oils are capable of 10k drains in police service that includes a couple hundred hrs of idle time. I recently got a report back on a Vic where after 8600 miles the TBN was still 4.57, despite having a leaky air filter. The lowest I recall seeing has been 3.4. Very impressive given the price of this oil. We are now going to be using Schaeffer's in all our police and fire vehicles and I'm using it in my own vehicles as well.

Use it with confidence!

REDDOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back