Redline 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the VOA results from Blackstone of a recently purchased case of Redline 5w-40. I was expecting a lot of moly!

The sample was about equal amounts from 5 different quart bottles taken as I poured them into my car.

Blackstone comments:
No problems found here. Anti-wear additives in the oil include phosphorus and zinc. Detergent dispersant
additives are boron, calcium and magnesium. Silicon is also additive, which is usually used as an anti-foaming agent.
Keep the silicon number in mind when you review your oil reports with this brand/type oil. The harmless silicon additive
may mask silicon that is coming from dirt getting past the air filter. Red Line used to have more molybdenum, but it
looks like they changed packages. The TBN was strong at 10.8. This is serviceable oil and should do well.

Code:

Total miles 0

Miles on oil 0

Date 10/18/2008

OIL Redline

Weight 5w-40

Make up oil VOA

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 0

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 3

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 2

SILICON 16

SODIUM 0

CALCIUM 2522

MAGNESIUM 6

PHOSPHORUS 1097

ZINC 1308

BARIUM 0

SUS @ 210F 78.5

cST @100C 15.15

Flashpoint F 440

Fuel % -

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0.0

Insolubles% 0.0

TBN 10.8

shocking....

Maybe buster can call Dave; Dave knows buster personally as "the guy who always calls and takes up our time but never buys anything"

Last edited:
I did a redline 5W40 virgin sample with blackstone on 10-22-08 and it also showed "3" for moly. There is something weird here. I called Dave at redline and he said have them re-run it. It should be 850ppm or so. Blackstone said they will re-run it and I will post results when I get them. Weird. The file below is the report from the first run, not the re-run (don't have that yet)
redlineold.jpg

Heard back from Blackstone this am and the rerun showed the same amount of moly, 3 ppm. They said they also ran a redline 5W40 virgin yesterday for someone else and that it also had almost no Moly. So we need more info. from redline to see what is up.

Didn't you already contact Dave at Red Line?

I did a redline 5W40 virgin sample with blackstone on 10-22-08 and it also showed "3" for moly. There is something weird here. I called Dave at redline and he said have them re-run it. It should be 850ppm or so.

Yes, I talked to Dave on the morning of Oct. 22, I am going to call him again and see what the deal is. Sounds like either the change was made to the formulation and Dave didn't know about it or it was not an intentional change to the formulation.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes, it is interesting. Wonder if they made any moly changes with the three new 0W oils they have.

I was thinking that too. Would be interesting to see if the UOA's change, such as lower Cu/Pb. It's a great oil.

I asked Dave at Redline about product data for the new 0w oil, and the moly in the 5w-40-

I saw the 0w oils listed on the web at racer parts wholesale in Indianapolis.

Daves reply-
I haven't seen the new data sheets for the 0Wxx oils yet though would expect them soon. They are shipping, suggested retail price is $10.95/quart.

Glad the 5W40 is performing well, the current 5W40 and 15W40 don't contain any moly, the UOA is correct. The formulation of those two diesel oils has been changed, specifically had the molybdenum removed to address the reduced sulfated ash CI-4 requirements.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Tell that chemist at Red Line to contact Schaeffer's. They don't have to remove all the moly.

Well if the UOA comes out outstanding with no moly what the heck.

Are you saying you won't buy Red Line because of the lack of moly?

I thought most bought Red Line because of their base stock. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 5w-40 in a heavy load van just to see how it does. I believe the chemist at Red Line must know what they are doing...my eyes will be open.

Maybe I should have put a smiley face after my quote. I believe the Red Line chemist are sharp as a tack. I personally do not buy any oil for the base stock alone. I personally believe a well formulated additive package is more important, unless your driving one of those 19,000 RPM Formula 1 cars.

Nice Tbn. Who cares whether it has moly or not. I'm sure the CI-4 requirement can be met with many different additive packages.

For high performance engines, I think it's a great choice. This oil never shears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back